JHoop, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

The Vortec 8.1 liter enginehasa life expectancy of 150,000

The engine accessory drive belt for the Vortec 8.1 liter enginehasa life expectancy of 150,000 miles and the first time a look see is required is 60,000 miles. What scenarios would cause the belt to fail at 27,000 miles? How old must the belt be before it must be replaced?
Category: GM
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing When the belt fails on the vehicle, you loose power steering , water pump and alternator. Not good at 70 mph on the freeway. Here is GM's ruke of thumb on this subject. I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop M's ruke of thumb on this subject. I