Joe  Barfield
Joe Barfield, Master High-Tech
Experience:  36yrs.in Auto Industry, Aamco Trans.Master..
17290852

1995 Chevy Tahoe: shift..park position..gear indicator..gear shifter

I have a 1995 Chevy Tahoe auto and it now will not shift out of Park. I can move the shifter out of the park position but, the prenundle (gear indicator) will not follow it. Also it feels as tho there is no tension on the gear shifter. I have a feeling the linkage has come apart. Does anybody know if my truck has a shift cable or the old sytle linkage? Has anybody heard of this before?
Hello,So you have no Gears?......Thanks Joey
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Correct, no forward and no reverse. No taxing of the engine. I cannot feel any shifting or feel any engagement of the transmission. It's as if the shifter is not connected to the trans. The shift indicator does not follow the gear shifter as well.
ok,Have A look under the truck on driver side......Have someone Move the Gear Selecter While You look at the linkage on the side of transmission.....The cable is Disconnected or Just a Broken Shift Cable.....Thanks XXXXX ccept Button If you have no more Questions Or Ask Away.....CAUTION HOLD THE BRAKES.....It could go in Gear
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How difficult is it to replace the shift cable if it is broken... on a scale of 0-10 Blond being 0 transmission expert being 10?
Hi, Its Like a 5 just follow the cable to each end.....no-brainer..lol...Heck a Blonde=0 could do it.....Joey.....it could have just poped off the trans....just snap it back on