GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

99 GMC Yukon: 5.7L, 4WD has an intermittent..fires..cuts

Customer Question

My '99 GMC Yukon, 5.7L, 4WD has an intermittent no start issue. It fires over and immediately cuts off. If I leave it for an hour or so, it will start and drive for weeks or days without this issue until I need to be somewhere urgently and sure enough it won't start. No codes are being thrown. I've replaced the entire spider injector assembly within the last 2 years, fuel pump within the last 8 months and fuel filter within the last 2 weeks. Any ideas??
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for asking your question. I look forward to helping you fix your vehicle.

I will try my best to help you and in order to do that, I need you to describe the issue in as much detail because I only know as much about your vehicle as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Please include all the small details that may seem insignificant such as warning light or noises.

My goal is your satisfaction and I ask that you not accept unless you are satisfied, but if you are satisfied, please accept so I can receive credit for my work and time. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and bonuses are always welcomed.

Please feel free to reply as needed.

Have all these repairs been done to correct this issue or is this new?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
All these repairs have been in response to this condition. If the truck sits for a number of days, the no start seems to be more likely though not a certainty. I've had it start once or twice after sitting, but will then not start. I can hear the fuel pump running and reaching pressure during the no start. Having addressed the fuel system, I'm starting to consider the distributor or ignition system but wonder whether the symptoms should be more consistent if it's within the electrical.

OK, what does the security light do when it stalls? The start/stall is consistent with the theft shutting it off. Lets try a relearn. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes ( the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password).

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well, as the stall is intermittent, I've been waiting for it to occur and sure enough it happened today for my wife. When I returned home to try your sequence, the car started right up. I don't see any security 'tell tale' as you've mentioned. I'm not aware of any security on this vehicle either. I will go through the sequence anyway to reset the system.

Does this sound like it could be a distributor/electrical type issue? It was fairly humid this morning and I wonder if maybe it's just not firing on all cylinders which might explain the half start...