Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, ASE/GM Master Certified 25Years
Experience:  GM Master Certified ASE Master Certified 25 Years Dealership Experience
20496363

2002 gmc envoy: 4.2L..p1345..p0440..the key is still in the start pos

2002 gmc envoi 4.2L codes p1345 po340 p0440 p1514 car will start and than quit while the key is still in the start pos. On occassion if we get it to start it will run.
Category: GM
Expert:  Wicked Wrench replied 5 years ago.
P1345
Notes

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The powertrain control module (PCM) uses the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor information to monitor the correlation between the crankshaft and camshaft positions. This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) will set if the deviation between the crankshaft and camshaft exceeds a calibrated amount.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

• The engine is running.
  • The minimum voltage is 11 volts .

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

• The variable cam phaser is commanded to zero.
  • The engine has been running for more than 16 seconds .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test has been run and failed.
  • The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

• The PCM will turn OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has run and passed.
  • The history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.
  • The DTC can be cleared by using a scan tool.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

• This code will only set at idle.
  • An improperly torqued harmonic balancer or misbuilt engine.
  • The PCM will disable the ability to command the variable cam phaser on the scan tool. This will prevent engine damage from excessive valve overlap.

TEST DESCRIPTION

DTC P1345 - Steps 1-6

The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

1. If this sets, there is a problem with the camshaft position actuator solenoid high control circuit shorted to voltage or the solenoid stuck open.

P0340
Notes

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The camshaft position (CMP) sensor produces a 6X plus a sync signal for each revolution of the camshaft. These signals are for control of sequential fuel injection and for exhaust camshaft phaser control. The CMP is connected directly to the powertrain control module (PCM) and consists of the following circuits:

• 12-volt reference
  • Low reference
  • CMP sensor signal

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC
The engine is running.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The CMP Active Counter is not incrementing.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will illuminate after two consecutive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs with the fault active.
  • The PCM records the operating conditions at the time when the diagnostic fails. This information stores in the Freeze Frame and Failure Records buffers.
  • A history DTC stores.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

• The MIL will turn OFF after three consecutive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs without a fault.
  • A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles without a fault.
  • Use a scan tool to clear the DTCs.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

• Whenever the PCM sees less than 15 resyncs in 256 seconds , the counter resets to 0. When a poor connection is present, the cam sensor active counter stops incrementing and the cam sensor resync counter starts to increment.
  • Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the harness appears to be OK, observe the CMP resync counter on the scan tool while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the CMP sensor. If the CMP resync counter still does not count, then while still observing the scan tool, operate any non-engine related electrical components on the vehicle. A change in display will indicate the location of the malfunction.
  • A defective reluctor wheel or a cracked or damaged CMP sensor can result in an intermittent. Remove the camshaft sensor and inspect for any damage. With the CMP sensor removed you can also inspect the reluctor wheel through the hole. Check the porosity and condition of the wheel. The edges must be square. Look for a nicked or damaged wheel.
  • If the condition is intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions. See: Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures\Intermittent Conditions

TEST DESCRIPTION

DTC P0340 - Steps 1-12

DTC P0340 - Steps 13-17

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. This step determines if there is a problem with the signal circuit.
  2. If the fuse is open in the jumper wire, there is a short to ground on the signal circuit.

Experience: GM Master Certified ASE Master Certified 25 Years Dealership Experience

P1345
Notes

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The powertrain control module (PCM) uses the crankshaft sensor and the
camshaft sensor information to monitor the correlation between the
crankshaft and camshaft positions. This diagnostic trouble code (DTC)
will set if the deviation between the crankshaft and camshaft exceeds a
calibrated amount.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

• The engine is running.
  • The minimum voltage is 11 volts .

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during
    the second consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test has been run
    and failed.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

• The PCM will turn OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during
    the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has run and passed.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

• This code will only set at idle.
  • The PCM will disable the ability to command the variable cam
    phaser on the scan tool. This will prevent engine damage from excessive
    valve overlap.

TEST DESCRIPTION

DTC P1345 - Steps 1-6

1. If this sets, there is a problem with the camshaft position
    actuator solenoid high control circuit shorted to voltage or the
    solenoid stuck open.

P0340
Notes

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The camshaft position (CMP) sensor produces a 6X plus a sync signal for
each revolution of the camshaft. These signals are for control of
sequential fuel injection and for exhaust camshaft phaser control. The
CMP is connected directly to the powertrain control module (PCM) and
consists of the following circuits:

• 12-volt reference
  • Low reference
  • CMP sensor signal

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

The engine is running.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will illuminate after two
    consecutive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs with the fault
    active.
  • The PCM records the operating conditions at the time when the
    diagnostic fails. This information stores in the Freeze Frame and
    Failure Records buffers.
  • A history DTC stores.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

• Use a scan tool to clear the DTCs.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

• Whenever the PCM sees less than 15 resyncs in 256 seconds ,
    the counter resets to 0. When a poor connection is present, the cam
    sensor active counter stops incrementing and the cam sensor resync
    counter starts to increment.
  • Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the harness appears
    to be OK, observe the CMP resync counter on the scan tool while moving
    connectors and wiring harnesses related to the CMP sensor. If the CMP
    resync counter still does not count, then while still observing the
    scan tool, operate any non-engine related electrical components on the
    vehicle. A change in display will indicate the location of the
    malfunction.
  • A defective reluctor wheel or a cracked or damaged CMP sensor
    can result in an intermittent. Remove the camshaft sensor and inspect
    for any damage. With the CMP sensor removed you can also inspect the
    reluctor wheel through the hole. Check the porosity and condition of
    the wheel. The edges must be square. Look for a nicked or damaged
    wheel.

TEST DESCRIPTION

DTC P0340 - Steps 1-12

DTC P0340 - Steps 13-17

OK. So you have a couple of Cam Phazer Codes & a Evap Code from a possible leaky or loose gas cap & a code for excessive air detection at the intake. No Problem.

First let's get the engine running. Honestly tell me, have you been faithful on the oil change interval, or have you let the oil level go low? The Cam Phazer more than likely needs replacement because of it being stuck fully open. I've replaced a few & it has fixed the problem for both the 1345 & 340.

Follow the trouble schematics I've provided above & give me all the info if you get stuck on a proceedure.

Good Luck!