Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM & SATURN Factory Trained Technician, 25 Years Experience

99 Suburban 1500 4X4 5.7 gas..Need diagram for heater hose

Customer Question

99 Suburban 1500 4X4 5.7 gas..Need diagram for heater hose routing..is a 2 zone system (front-back)..the Y fittings and Tees just crumbled while trying to repair water leak at roadside..local shop quoted me 270.00 to repair..just dont have that kind of money..have system looped right now by passing heaters.

Thanks,

Category: GM
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question! I cant find one picture for you but I did find a lot of replacement information that should show you what you need. It will come in many post. Ken
Heater Hoses Replacement (Inlet Hose - 5.0L, 5.7L, 7.4L)

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

1. Drain the engine coolant.
    Object Number: 257108  Size: SH

2. Disconnect the inlet hose (1) from the generator bracket.
  3. Disconnect the inlet hose at the fender clip.
  4. Loosen the hose clamp at the heater core enough to slide the clamp away from the fitting on the inlet hose.
  5. Remove the hose clamp at the heater core, the water shut off valve, or the tee fitting.
  6. Disconnect the inlet hose from the heater core.

7. Object Number: 220038  Size: SH

8. Push the inlet hose (5) into the connector (1).
  9. Insert the J 38723 into the connector in order to release the locking tabs (2).
  10. Pull the retainer (4) and the inlet hose from the heater inlet connector.
  11. Inspect the O-ring sealing surface on the inlet hose.
  12. When replacing the heater inlet connector, remove the retainer from the hose.
  13. Discard the retainer.

14. When replacing the inlet hose, but not the connector, complete the following steps:
  15. 12.1. Remove the retainer from the inlet hose.
    12.2. Reinsert the retainer in the connector.
  16. When reusing the inlet hose and the container, keep the retainer in place on the hose.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 220038  Size: SH

1. Push the hose (5) into the connector (1) until the retainer tabs (3) lock.
  2. Pull back on the hose in order to verify for the proper engagement.

3. Object Number: 257108  Size: SH

4. Connect the inlet hose (1) to the heater core, the water shut off valve, or the tee fitting.
  5. Install the inlet hose clamp.
  6. Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

7. Install the inlet hose mounting screw.
  8. Tighten
    Tighten the screw to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

9. Install the inlet hose to the fender clip.
  10. Add the engine coolant.
  11. Inspect the system for leaks.
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM & SATURN Factory Trained Technician, 25 Years Experience
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Heater Hoses Replacement (Outlet Hose - 5.0L, 5.7L)

Removal Procedure

1. Drain the engine coolant.
    Object Number: 257108  Size: SH

2. Remove the outlet hose (2) from the fender clip.
  3. Remove the outlet hose clamp from the following components:
  4. heater core
    water shut off valve
    tee fitting
  5. Disconnect the outlet hose from the heater core.
  6. Remove the outlet hose mounting screw.
  7. Remove the outlet hose from the generator bracket.
  8. Remove the outlet hose clamp from the water pump.
  9. Disconnect the outlet hose from the water pump.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 257108  Size: SH

1. Connect the outlet hose (2) to the water pump.
  2. Install the outlet hose clamp to the water pump.
  3. Install the outlet hose to the generator bracket.
  4. Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Install the generator bracket mounting screw.
  6. Tighten
    Tighten the screw to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

7. Connect the outlet hose to the heater core.
  8. Install the outlet hose clamp to the heater core.
  9. Install the outlet hose to the fender clip.
  10. Add the engine coolant. Inspect the system for leaks.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Heater Water Bypass Valve Replacement

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 280258  Size: SH

1. Drain the engine coolant.
  2. Remove the hose clamps from the outlet pipe (6) and from the inlet pipe (5).
  3. Remove the heater inlet pipe (5) and the outlet pipe (6) from the bypass valves (4).
  4. Remove the bolts (3) that retain the valves to the heater assembly.
  5. Remove the bypass valves (4) from the heater assembly.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 280258  Size: SH

1. Install the bypass valves (4) to the heater assembly.
  2. Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the bolts that retain the valves (4) to the heater assembly.
  4. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 4 N·m (35 lb in).

5. Install the heater inlet pipe (5) and the outlet pipe (6) to the bypass valves.
  6. Install the hose clamps.
  7. Fill the cooling system.
  8. Ensure that no leaks exist in the cooling system.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Heater Hoses Replacement - Auxiliary (Suburban-Front)

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Support the vehicle with suitable safety stands.

Drain the engine coolant.

3. Remove the right front wheelhouse.
    Object Number: 257123  Size: SH

4. Remove the bolts in the engine compartment.
  5. Remove the hose (1,2) clamps in the engine compartment.

6. Object Number: 257126  Size: MH

7. Remove the bolts from the frame.
  8. Remove the hose clamps from the frame.

9. Object Number: 257124  Size: SH

10. Disconnect the heater inlet hose (1) from the tee fittings.
  11. Disconnect the heater outlet hose (2) at the tee fittings.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 257124  Size: SH

1. Connect the heater outlet hose (2) to the tee fittings.
  2. Connect the heater inlet hose (1) to the tee fittings.

3. Object Number: 257123  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

4. Install the hose (1,2) clamp bolts in the engine compartment.
  5. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

Object Number: 257126  Size: MH

6. Install the hose clamp bolts on the frame.
  7. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

8. Install the right front wheelhouse.
  9. Add the engine coolant.
  10. Lower the vehicle.
  11. Inspect the system for leaks.
.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

That is all I could find. If you print this out and read it over you should find where each hose goes. Thanks Ken

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Read over "the heater water By pass valve replacement" I think that is the one that will help you. Ken
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX sorry I could not find you a better diagram. I am on the GM web sight and that is all they had. Thank You Again!!!! Ken