GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

How to replace evap vent solenoid/valve error code po449

Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for asking your question. I look forward to helping you fix your vehicle.

I will try my best to help you and in order to do that, I need you to describe the issue in as much detail because I only know as much about your vehicle as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Please include all the small details that may seem insignificant such as warning light, codes that you have scanned and how this started.

My goal is your satisfaction and I ask that you not accept unless you are satisfied, but if you are satisfied, please accept so I can receive credit for my work and time. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and bonuses are always welcomed.

Please feel free to reply as needed.

The solenoid is mounted on the back side of the tank. From under the truck you can remove the valve wiring connector, remove the valve from the tank and remove the lines from the valve and canister. If there is no hose on the new valve, then use 5/8 heater hose to run the filter for the valve beside the transmission.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this is a 2007 suburban not truck.--does the tank have to be dropped? what does the valve look like?

No the tank does not have to be dropped, but this being a utility does change this a bit, but not much.

• Remove the spare tire and wheel assembly.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Raise and support the vehicle.
  • Disconnect the chassis wiring harness electrical connector (1) from the EVAP canister vent solenoid.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Disconnect the EVAP canister vent solenoid quick connect fitting (1) from the EVAP canister.
  • Disconnect the fuel fill pipe EVAP line quick connect fitting (3) from the vent solenoid. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Disengage the retainer (1) securing the EVAP canister vent solenoid to the bracket.
  • Remove the EVAP canister vent solenoid.