Howard Duncan
Howard Duncan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years automotive experience, owner of Duncan's Mobile Automotive, LLC

1986 GMC Sierra 1500: automatic..was leaking transmission fluid

1986 GMC Sierra 1500 (automatic), was leaking transmission fluid from front seal where engine connects. Ran through fluid like crazy. I was told that when the guy i got it from replaced the engine he pinched this seal. I put a quart or two in every time i drove it (just to the dump 3 miles up the road) one day i was on my way home and it just stopped moving forward. I got it to back up the drive. Now I am wondering the most likely repair. It did not jerk or smell burnt or anything, just failed to go up a hill. Does this sound like simply a new seal and fluid? Torque converter? Or whole tranny? If tranny what kind comes stock on this truck? 305 V8 engine.
Category: GM
Expert:  Howard Duncan replied 7 years ago.
Hello, if you fill up the transmission and it will not go forward you probably burned up the pump in the transmission. If you get a used transmission then you ask for a 700R4 that's the transmission that came stock in that vehicle. If you are happy with my answer please click accept, if not please don't leave negative feedback I will help you all I can just ask. Regards Howard