GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

How do i replace rear shoes on a 2008 gmc sierra

Customer Question

how do i replace rear shoes on a 2008 gmc sierra
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Welcome. Changing the rear shoes is a pain to do, but I can help you with a couple of warnings and tricks. First that large spring has alot of power. Second, it is possible to pop one side of the wheel cylinder out. The tool J38400 is pictured below. I have used a couple of screw drivers and a set of vice grips and it has worked.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: MF

Callout

Component Name

Preliminary Procedures

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel.
  3. Remove the brake drum.

1

Adjuster Spring

Tip
Completely retract the brake shoe adjuster to ease removal of the adjuster spring.

2

Adjuster Lever

3

Brake Shoe Adjuster

Procedure

Clean and apply high temperature brake lubricant to the adjuster threads.

4

Brake Shoe Retractor Spring

Procedure

1. To release the brake shoe retractor spring, place the tapered end of the J 38400 or equivalent, in the center of the rear axle hub and the hook under the brake shoe retractor spring where it is inserted in the brake shoe web.
  2. To release the brake shoe retractor spring, compress the opposite ends of the J 38400 or equivalent, lift the brake shoe retractor spring end from the brake shoe web.
  3. To install the brake shoe retractor spring, place the tapered end of the J 38400 or equivalent, in the center of the rear axle hub and the hook under the brake shoe retractor spring
  4. To install the brake shoe retractor spring, compress the opposite ends of the J 38400 or equivalent, and lever the brake shoe retractor spring end into the brake shoe web.
  5. Alternatively, to install the brake shoe retractor spring, place a clean, folded shop cloth over the brake shoe friction surface.
  6. To install the brake shoe retractor spring, utilize a pair of slip joint pliers to lever the spring into the brake shoe web hole by placing the jaws of the pliers over the retractor spring and the protected surface of the brake shoe.

Special Tools

J 38400 Brake Shoe Spanner and Spring Remover

5

Brake Primary Shoe

Procedure

1. Using a flat-bladed tool, press the lock tab on the park brake cable at the lever.
  2. When removing the park brake cable from the lever, the park brake return spring will remain attached to the lever. DO NOT remove the return spring from the lever. If the return spring separates from the lever, the brake shoes must be replaced.
  3. Hold the lock tab while simultaneously pushing the park brake cable forward to release the park brake cable from the lever.
  4. Remove the park brake cable from the lever.
  5. Clean the backing plate and apply high temperature brake lubricant to the brake shoe contact surfaces of the backing plate.

6

Brake Secondary Shoe

Procedure

1. Clean the backing plate and apply high temperature brake lubricant to the brake shoe contact surfaces of the backing plate.
  2. Adjust the drum brakes.
graphic