tristan
tristan, ASE MASTER
Experience:  8yrs. exp. ASE MASTER
10186415

HOW TO REMOVE OIL COOLER LINE 7.4 GMC

Customer Question

HOW TO REMOVE OIL COOLER LINE 7.4 GMC
Category: GM
Expert:  tristan replied 5 years ago.

good luck. and please accept my answer. thanks T-MAN

Oil Cooler Hose/Pipe Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
    Object Number: 106947  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  2. For the 7.4L Engine, remove the retainer clips and the brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106948  Size: SH
  3. For vehicles with the GVW 15,000 lb chassis, remove the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106949  Size: SH
  4. For vehicles with the Turbo Diesel GVW 15,000 lb chassis, remove the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106950  Size: SH
  5. For vehicles with the 7.4L Engine and the Heavy Duty chassis, remove the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106951  Size: SH
  6. For the 5.7L Engine, remove the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106952  Size: SH
  7. For vehicles with the 7.4L Engine and the GVW 15,000 lb chassis, remove the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106953  Size: SH
  8. For vehicles with the Turbo Diesel with Heavy Duty chassis, remove the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106954  Size: SH
  9. For vehicles with the Turbo Diesel with Light Duty chassis, remove the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
  10. Disconnect the oil cooler pipe from the connector at the radiator.

Important: Perform the following procedures when removing the retaining ring and cooler line from the quick connect fitting on the transmission.

11. Pull the plastic cap back from the quick connect fitting and down along the cooler line about two inches.
    Object Number: 104737  Size: SH
  12. Using a bent-tip screwdriver, pull on one of the open ends of the retaining ring in order to rotate the retaining ring around the quick connect fitting until the retaining ring is out of position and can be completely removed.
    Object Number: 104739  Size: SH
  13. Remove the retaining ring from the quick connect fitting.
  14. Discard the retaining ring.
    Object Number: 104740  Size: SH
  15. Pull the cooler line straight out from the quick connect fitting.
  16. Remove the retaining ring (E-clips) securing the cooler line to the quick connect in order to remove the remaining cooler lines from the remaining quick connect fittings.
  17. Remove the cooler lines from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the transmission oil cooler line to the vehicle.

Important:

Do not reuse any of the existing retaining rings that were removed from the existing quick connect fittings. All retaining rings being installed must be new.
    Ensure the following procedures are performed when installing the new retaining rings onto the fittings.

2. Install a new retaining ring (E-clip) into the quick connect fitting using the following procedure:
    Object Number: 104743  Size: SH
  3. Hook one of the open ends of the retaining ring in one of the slots in the quick connect fitting.
    Object Number: 104746  Size: SH
  4. Rotate the retaining ring around the fitting until the retaining ring is positioned with all three ears through the three slots on the fitting.
    Object Number: 104741  Size: SH
  5. Do not install the new retaining ring onto the fitting by pushing the retaining ring.
    Object Number: 104664  Size: SH
  6. Ensure that the three retaining ring ears are seen from inside the fitting and that the retaining ring moves freely in the fitting slots.
  7. Install the new retaining ring (E-clip) into the remaining quick connect fittings.
    Object Number: 104740  Size: SH
  8. Install the cooler lines to the vehicle.
    Object Number: 104752  Size: SH
  9. Install the cooler line into the quick connect fitting.
  10. Insert the cooler line end into the quick connect fitting until a click is either heard or felt.
    Object Number: 104750  Size: SH
  11. Do not use the plastic cap on the cooler line in order to install the cooler line into the fitting.
  12. Pull back sharply on the cooler line in order to ensure that the cooler line is fastened into the quick connect fitting.
    Object Number: 104753  Size: SH
  13. Position (snap) the plastic cap onto the fitting. Do not manually depress the retaining ring when installing the plastic cap onto the quick connect fitting.
  14. Ensure that the plastic cap is fully seated against the fitting.
    Object Number: 104754  Size: SH
  15. Ensure that no gap is present between the cap and the fitting.
    Object Number: 104753  Size: SH
  16. Ensure that the yellow identification band on the tube is hidden within the quick connect fitting.
    Object Number: 104755  Size: SH
  17. A hidden yellow identification band indicates proper joint seating.
  18. Install the cooler line into the quick connect fitting again in order to install the remaining cooler lines into the remaining quick connect fittings.
    Object Number: 106954  Size: SH
  19. For vehicles with the Turbo Diesel with Light Duty chassis, install the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106953  Size: SH
  20. For vehicles with the Turbo Diesel with Heavy Duty chassis, install the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106952  Size: SH
  21. For vehicles with the 7.4L Engine and the GVW 15,000 lb chassis, install the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106951  Size: SH
  22. For the 5.7L Engine, install the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106950  Size: SH
  23. For vehicles with the 7.4L Engine and the Heavy Duty chassis, install the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106949  Size: SH
  24. For vehicles with the Turbo Diesel GVW 15,000 lb chassis, install the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106948  Size: SH
  25. For vehicles with the GVW 15,000 lb chassis, install the retainer clips and brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
    Object Number: 106947  Size: SH
  26. For the 7.4L Engine, install the retainer clips and the brackets that secure the transmission cooler lines to the engine.
  27. Install the flair nuts securing the oil cooler lines to the radiator or the auxiliary oil cooler if equipped.

Tighten
    Tighten the flair nuts to 45 N·m (33 lb ft).