FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

my car keeps cutting off while driving

my car keeps cutting off while driving
Category: GM
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer what kind of vehicle is this? Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, its not...its a 99 alero...while driving it will just cut off then i will crank it up, it would be fine...but does the same thing
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Okay, so it will always start right back up after it stalls? WHat size engine do you have in the vehicle and how many miles are on it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i dont know the exact size, about 152000 miles
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Okay, is it a 4 or 6 cylinder?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
6
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Okay. The most common cause of this is a bad crank position sensor. It is common for this sensor to start going bad and causing this problem. If the sensor is okay then the problem may be in the ignition module or the ignition switch. Do you plan on fixing this yourself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

how do u fix it...do u think it need a fuel injection cleaning...could this be a problem...bc also when im drivig it...i have to basically push the paddle all the way down for it to accelerate

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
This can be extremely clogged injectors or it may simply need a tune-up. If the vehicle has not been tuned up for quite some time then this would be where to start. It is also possible that you have a bad catalytic converter. This can be checked at most exhaust shops.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so needing a fuel injector wouldnt cause it
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Not typically. This will cause the vehicle to run poorly but not to stall.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
from the looks of it....how much do u think it will cost....and the exhaust thing would cause it to shut off
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
If it is a crank sensor it will cost about $150 to replace. If it needs a tune-up this is usually about $200-300. As for the catalytic converter this can cause the vehicle to stall and it will cause a lack of power. This will usually cost about $300-400. When was the vehicle last tuned up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
about 4 5 mos ago
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Okay, then the tune-up related parts should be okay. Look more into the crank sensor and the converter. I would also have the fuel pressure checked to make sure the fuel pump is fine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what would cause the crank sensor to be off
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Over time it just wears out and give the wrong information to the computer at times and can cause the vehicle to stall.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i understand the stalling part but would cause it to shut off while driving, then if i turn it completely off it cranks right back up
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Any of these parts can fail for a moment causing the vehicle to stall. Once you try restarting the vehicle it can suddenly start reading correctly again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the security light came on once and trac off light came on once while it was beginning to stop...

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
These lights can come on when the vehicle is turning off due to the loss of voltage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i know u getting tired of me...its just i just paid 800.00 to get the water pump problem fixed....so im pretty upset with this problem...so frm the looks of the car cutting off while driving...then will crank right bsck up when i try, it sounds like a crank sensor problem

Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Yes it does. How long ago was the water pump changed? Was the problem there before that repair?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it happened once b4 i got the water pump got fixed...but today was horrible...it kept on happening
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Due to the fact that the vehicle is not only stalling, but that is lacks power also, before you have the sensor replaced I would have the fuel pressure checked. This vehicle has a history of fuel pump related problems. It may be what is causing the issues.
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks alot
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could a ignition switch be a problem
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that is also a possibility. It will be hard to pinpoint the exact problem without it happening at the time of testing.