Ask Mike, GM World Class Certified Tech Y...
Mike, GM World Class Certified Tech
Mike, GM World Class Certified Tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Tech
20344401

2004 chevy aveo, need to get the radio codes.

Customer Question

Category: GM
Expert:  Mike, GM World Class Certified Tech replied 7 years ago.

Hi

This is the info i found .

The audio security system is activated whenever the audio system circuit is disconnected from the battery. A 4-digit security code must be entered for the audio system to resume functioning. The security code is stamped on a card located in the vehicle, usually in the glove box. The following security code entering procedure must be used to deactivate the audio security system:

1. With the ignition switch in the ACC position. Turn the radio ON. At this time, CODE will be shown on the radio display, accompanied by chime sounds.
  2. Enter the 4-digit security number using the radio preset buttons 1 through 6, or 1 through 8, if equipped.
  3. After all four digits are entered, the digits will blink three times, and the radio will be functional.

If you enter the Wrong Code

If the wrong code is entered, ERR will briefly appear on the display. After this, CODE will appear, and the code entering procedure can be performed once again. If the correct code is not entered within 10 minutes, the radio should be disconnected from the battery to reset the audio system. After connecting the battery, repeat the code entering procedure.

Let me know if it helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I already know all this, I no longer have the card with the codes, so how do I retrieve the codes?

I did not know you had already tried that.

Ok

When you turn the ignition on what does the radio read?

Does it read ERR for a few seconds?

If so disconnect the battery for a few minuets, reconnect it then see what it says.

Does it now give you 4 digit's?

Let me know what you come up with.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the radio reads CODE----

OK

I never ran into that situation before. All the info i have you have to have the code to unlock it. I will do some more research for you and if i find anything i will get back to you. In the meantime i will opt out. Someone else may have a answer faster for you

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX told i HAD to take it to a dealer to get the codes, but was hoping for better luck here. the dealer wants 80. to reset the radio.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need to cancel this ticket, as it is noone can help with my problem. I an going to go to the dealer and have the radio fixed. What happens now with the deposit?

You may request deposit refunds at http://www.justanswer.com/refund.aspx. Deposits do not accrue interest. Once you've accepted and paid for an answer, however, you have no right to a refund.