Scott K
Scott K, GMC Technician
Experience:  several years of GMC experience

how to remove ignition switch 1980 GMC 1 Ton

Customer Question

Category: GM
Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer,

The ignition switch is located on the lower steering column and is actuated by a rod leading up the column to the igntion lock cylinder,

To replace the steering column is lowered by removing the 2 nuts on the collar, when lowering be careful not to break the small cable that is clipped to the shift collar to move the gear shift indicator (automatic trans only) Just push the clip of the shift collar, putting back in the same place upon install.

The 2 screws are removed from the ignition switch and then disconnected from the connector, The switch will need to be adusted on install so the correct action takes place with the key cylinder.

There may also be the headlight dimmer switch mounted on the same studs as the ignition switch (if column mounted that year).

Let me know if you have more questions

Scott K

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The dimmer is on the floor and the truck is a 4 speed standard, i don,t have too many tools and was wondering if i can get at the ignition by removing the steering wheel?

Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

What are you trying to replace?

The Ignition switch (electrical part)?

Or the Lock Cylinder (part where the key is at)?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Lock cyclinder as the key is jammed and i need to pull the cylinder out and have it rekeyed

Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

different set of instructions for that.

You should be able to rent or loan tools from an auto parts store for the job.

You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate remover.

Lock plate removal tool is used to press down the lockplate against a spring in order to remove the retaining clip. Shown below in use.

Steering wheel puller in use shown below

Once the steering wheel is off remove the lock plate and then remove the turn signal switch screws and just pull up out of the way (wires don't need to be disconnected) Then remove the Lock cylinder retaining screw as shown below, then remove the lock cylinder and key. A new cylinder and key can be purchased from any parts store for less than $20.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks Scott this is very helpful, let me know if you get paid or not, first i use this site

Expert:  Scott K replied 7 years ago.

yes I did and I thank you!

Good luck with the truck

Scott K