mcgruder73
mcgruder73, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE master certified, GM certified, GM Mark of Excellence.
4976144

2006 Envoy: dash lights..I then disconnected both..cables..wrench

Customer Question

2006 Envoy Denali...brake, asb and stabile track dash lights were on. Fuses Ok...I disconnected the negative battery terminal thinking it might force a reset and it solved the stabile track issue. I then disconnected both the negative and positive cables but inadvertently hit the positive terminal with the wrench causing a ground. Now the windows, door locks, seat, radio, a/c and probably more are not working. Any ideas?
Category: GM
Expert:  mcgruder73 replied 7 years ago.
Have you checked all fuses in the underhood and under the left rear seat fuse boxes to see if any were shorted and are now open? As for the ABS, RED BRAKE and STABILITY TRACK lamps being illuminated means a problem has been detected by the ABS or STABILITY system causing all 3 lamps to set. It may an issue with a speed sensor, harness going to a speed sensor or the ABS control module itself. You need to scan the vehicle for trouble codes and see which ones are setting and in which modules.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This started when i checked the fuses because I was having a problem with my trailer lights. I pulled out the traler fuse but never saw these kinds of fuses before so I pulled another at random. I determined they were both Ok and put them back. That is when theASB, Parking Brake, and stabile track lights came on. After disconnecting and reconnecting the battery negative terminal, the stabil track light went out.
Even after cycling the ignition key this doesn't change the condition? Do you have any way of scanning all modules on the truck for trouble codes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What do you mean by cycling the ignition key? No, I have no diagnostic equipment.
Turning the key off and then back on is cycling the key. At this point I think you need to have the vehicle scanned using the GM Tech 2 scan tool that can communicate with every module and see what trouble codes are setting. If one is present in the vehicle but not communicating it may be indicative of a blown fuse or a shorted module.