MPMoore
MPMoore, GM WORLD CLASS/ASE MASTER W/L1 GMC
Experience:  15 YEARS AS GM TECH, TEAM LEADER/SHOP FOREMAN AT A GMC DEALERSHIP
4232346

Gmc sierra 1500: need to replace lock cylinder

need to replace lock cylinder on gmc sierra 1500 since my key refused to turn the ignition on today. Can I do this myself or is a mechanic required...no fancy security systems on my truck!

What year is the truck??

Does the key move at all at this time, or still will not move??

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello there....it is a 2002 GMC Sierra-1500. The steering wheel in NOT in the lock position so it isn't a freeze problem the key will not turn in the ignition...this has been giving us trouble for 2 weeks now harder and harder to get key to turn in ignition...wiggle wheel etc to get it to finally engage...I am sure it is just simply worn out. We would obviously like to rplace this ourselves if possible can you provide step by step? Thanks so much!

The lock cylinder will come out if you can turn the ignition switch. You have to remove the bezel around the steering colunm, the plastic trim behind the steering wheel. There is a small hole on top of the ignition lock housing, you need to turn the ignition to the run position, move the shifter to drive(so the starter does not enegage) use a small pick to push in the small hole and turn the ignition to the start position. The lock cylinder should now come out.

You do not need to remove the steering wheel.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks your amazing to help out so quickly. The part takes 3-4 days to get to my area here in San Antonio so I now have to hunt online and see if I can have the part overnighted to me or 2 day delivery....thanks again I will ask for you specifically if I need assistance again! Kristi