GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2005 GMC Yukon: transmission filter..V8..crossover exhaust pipe..pan

Customer Question

How do I change the transmission filter on a 2005 GMC Yukon V8?   It appears the crossover exhaust pipe is blocking the pan.
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 7 years ago.
Welcome. Can I ask why you are wanting to replace the filter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was under the impression that in order to assure long transmission life, you should change filter and fluid on a regular basis. The vehicle has 75,000 miles on it.
OK, you need not change the transmission filter like the engine. Unlike the engine, the transmission is sealed, there is no combustion to other contamination happening. Changing the fluid is a good idea, but if you are having to issues at all, leave the pan filter alone and just make sure the fluid is at the proper level and enjoy your vehicle.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So your telling me that some engineer designed a transmission WITH a filter that never needs changed? If that's the case then why is the damn thing on there at all? And why do auto parts stores sell replacement transmission filters?

The vehicle is making a clunking noise when it shifts. Gee, that must mean that the radiator cap is loose.

I'm sorry sir, I cannot assist you any more.