Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Certification
3903212

1995 GMC sierra 1500: water pump..use dex-Cool..coolant

I am about to try to replace a water pump on a 1995 GMC Sierra SL1500 where can I find information about how to do it and any problems I may run into and it states i have to use Dex-Cool as a coolant is it imperative I do so ?
Category: GM
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

I would either advise that you refill the cooling system with dex-cool or compatible antifreeze, or flush the complete system and refill with clean 50/50 green antifreeze. I would also recommend that you contact your local auto part store to see if they rent fan clutch removal tool set. See the fan clutch threads onto the end of the water pump on this model. Here is what you will be getting into. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!

• Drain the coolant from the radiator.
  • Remove the upper fan shroud.
  • Remove the drive belt.
  • Remove the fan, the fan clutch, and the pulley from the coolant pump.
  • Disconnect the radiator outlet hose from the coolant pump.
  • Disconnect the heater hose from the coolant pump.
  • Object Number: 72721  Size: SH

• For the 5.0L and 5.7L, remove the bolts.
  • Remove the coolant pump from the engine block.
  • Clean the mating surfaces on the coolant pump and the engine block.

• Object Number: 72721  Size: SH

• On the 5.0L and 5.7L, install the coolant pump to the engine block.
  • Install the new gaskets.
  • Install the bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 41 N·m (30 lb ft).

• Connect the radiator outlet hose to the coolant pump.
  • Connect the heater hose to the coolant pump. Refer to Heater Hose Replacement in HVAC.
  • Install the coolant pump pulley, the fan, and fan clutch to the coolant pump hub.
  • Install the drive belt.
  • Install the upper fan shroud.
  • Start the engine. Run the engine, with the radiator cap removed, until the upper radiator hose becomes hot (This indicates that the thermostat is open).
  • While the engine is running at idle speed, add coolant to the radiator, until the level reaches the bottom of the filler neck. Object Number: 13762  Size: SH

• Install the radiator cap. Make sure that the cap arrows line up with the overflow tube.
  • Inspect the cooling system for leaks.
  • Carhelp4u, ASE Certified Tech
    Experience: ASE Certification