rashawn, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  a.s.e. master technician foreign and domestic

The transfer case fluid really need to be changed at 50K miles..driven

Does the transfer case fluid really need to be changed at 50K miles? The vehicle
has only been street driven.
Category: GM
Expert:  rashawn replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
2006 Hummer H3 3.5L engine 55k miles
Expert:  rashawn replied 7 years ago.

The fluid in the transfer case is to keep the gears cool and lubricated. of corse it doesnt take as much abuse as an offroad vehicle but wear still occurs. not only do you change transfer case or any other fluids, for lubrication purposes. but you also change the fluid to rid the component of the metal shavings that occur inside of mechanical devices. those metal shavings are one of the causes for premature failure. Do you have to change it at 50K? I would. just to stay on top of my maintenance if nothing else. some people dont change it in 100k. but the longer the same fluid stays inside the m ore wear is caused.