Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience GM certified

1998 Olds Intrigue: steady..indicator light..radiator..the light went

I have a steady blinking low coolant indicator light on a 1998 Olds Intrigue. What does this mean? This light has come on in the past and I filled the radiator and resevior with coolant and the light went off. This time the radiator and resevoir are full and can not take anymore coolant.

Hello and welcome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

That sounds like a bad coolant level sensor. It is in the right side of the radiator.

They are available after market for about $43 and you want to replace it when the engine is cold.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I appreciate your quick response. Just so I understand...So this is just an external electric module? Nothing internal to the radiator? You are suggesting a simple replacement of the module? Any simple tests to make sure the module is faulty? And a local auto parts store (like O'Reillys) should have it?

It is just a 2 wire sensor that goes directly to the cluster in the dash to make the light come on. I haven't checked with O'Reillys, just Autozone thus far.

Just checked and it is $51 at O'Reillys. They don't show a test for it and I know you can't check by unplugging them, (I've tried) and I wouldn't say to jump it out or anything.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I really appreciate the diagrams. I will go by AutoZone or O'Reillys after work and try it out. I have also noted that the light is not blinking today. Today is also a much cooler day than the past couple weeks. I don't know if that means anything. I suspect that if I drive a while to get the engine hot I will start to see the blinking again. I think I might check around this module to check for loose connections just to make sure. Give me a day or so to do all this. I'll let you know what happens and if all is well I will accept and give payment.
Yeah, or you could take it to the dealer and pay them when your ready about $75, thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A GM dealer would charge only $75? Parts and labor? If it's a $50 part then I may just have them do it.

I think they will charge at least that just to do the diagnostic on it. (or to open the hood and look at it)

Then the labor is,

Coolant Level Indicator Module

And if I remember right the part is about $125 at the dealer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for no reply or acceptance. I'm still working on the problem. I had to go to a few parts stores this weeekend to find the part. I finally got it but have to install it. Do you think I need to drain the radiator even though the module appears to go in the top?
I would say to do it when the engine is cool and leave the radiator cap on when you change the sensor. That way you won't loose as much coolant. Then just top it off when you done. The vehicle will normally have to be driven for the sensor to self calibrate also.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I replaced the coolant sensor. I have driven the car just a couple of times and so far the coolant light has not come on. However, just a few minutes into the first ride, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. I'm planning on going to O'Reilleys to get a code reader to find the error code. The fact that this coincided with the sensor replacement makes me think this is related to the original problem.

That sounds like a plan, however, it would be good to accept the original answer that you got, thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the Service Engine light is an entirely new problem then I will accept the answer. If not then I believe the issue is not settled. If you don't agree then let's discuss.

The original problem was that coolant level sensor, (which has been rectified) and that will in no way set any trouble codes in the vehicle's PCM, which is where the code will be that relates to the problem at hand.

You should be able to get the codes read at any Autozone store or Advance as far as I know. There may be a different area of concern. Let's just see what code is there, thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok. I agree with you now that I see it's a code with the catalytic system. I don't have the background to know what kinds of problems will set off the MIL. It was the timing of the new problem which made me suspicious. I'll be posting a new question soon.
That was just a coincedence that it set after repairing the coolant level sensor. If the code is a P0420.......that is the catylist not working right. If that is the code. Thanks and come again.