Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2008 Yukon: engine oil..oil change..synthetic oil..the dealership

My 2008 Yukon XL (purchased new in Dec 2008) has 7241 miles on it and the info display has told me to "change engine oil soon". This is the first oil change and I am of the opinion to use synthetic oil for this engine. I have previously asked the dealership about this and their reccomendation was to change the oil when the display called for it and for the first change use traditional oil and then for subsequent changes use synthetic oil.   
    I want to get a second opinion. What do you reccommend?

Oh, it has the 5.3L V8 engine.
If you want to use synthetic oil, it is not necessary to use conventional oil for the first oil change. The engine is fully broken in with over 7,000 miles on it. The synthetic oil has advantages over the conventional oil, especially with the extended time period between recommended oil changes in the newer vehicles. GM does not advise against using synthetic oil at any point and installs it in some brand new vehicles (Corvettes, Cadillacs, and some performance models) Go ahead and use the synthetic oil.