goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  37 years of dealership exp. Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer

Leak..harness..that is part of my electronic shifting control..module

Customer Question

Have transmission leak where harness plugs to allison transmission. I assume that is part of my electronic shifting control. Is there a module at that location that needs to be repalced to stop the fluid leaking. This is at the rear driverside of the transmission. 2002 gmc 2500 hd crewcab. 120k mi.
Category: GM
Expert:  themechanic101 replied 5 years ago.
Im not a whole lot familiar with the allison 1000 but i know the bigger allison transmissions have a speed sensor in that location and if any connector is leacking through that means its bad. I couldn't find any TSB's on this issue but i would assume that it is a speed sensor and should be fairly easy to change.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't believe it is a speed sensor. This is also the location where the cable attaches from the steering column allowing you to shift into drive, reverse, etc... I need a more complete answer. Thank you for trying.
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I have posted a picture, can you tell me which connector in picture is the leak?

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the detail. The leak appears to be in the area of connector #6, the same area where the cable attaches from the steering column.

Ok, connector 6 is to the park neutral switch. this switch slides over a shaft that extends out of the transmission housing. on this shaft is a seal called a shift shaft seal. this requires the removal of the park neutral switch and then the seal can be removed and replaced. does require a special tool for removal of the seal.

graphic

Remove the Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Switch.

Be sure that the jackscrew for J 43911 is backed off and will not interfere with installation of the removal tool. Slide the seal remover tool over the manual shift shaft (2) with the threaded end of the tool towards the seal.

Rotate the removal tool so that the threads on the end of the tool engage the steel shell (1) of the seal. Use a wrench to be sure that the removal tool is firmly attached to the seal shell. Rotate the jackscrew in the clockwise direction to remove the seal from the bore. Discard the seal that was removed.

Experience: 37 years of dealership exp. Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I should have also added that about 6 weeks ago I had issues shifting into reverse. The truck had been sitting a couple of weeks while I used my s-10. (price of diesel). It would go forward ok but when I reached my destination it would not shift into reverse. No flashing lights on the steering column. Is this tool readily available? Do I need to drain any fluid?

you dont need to drain fluid. as far as the no reverse, I am assuming this is after it has set for a long period of time? the tool can be bought atmost tool compaies and parts store.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I tried to add additional funds using my amex card, amex thought it was fraudulent activity and blocked the transaction. Have it cleared up. What is the size of the tool and is the GM parts dept. the onle place to obtain the replacement seal?

the seal should be at most of your local parts store. if not your dealer can get this part for you. here is a picture of the tool from snap on. there are several tool companies that meake this tool.

http://www.snapon.com/

Transmission Seal Remover/Installer, GM
Stock #: YA9348

Removes and installs GM transmission shift sele... Learn More

$32.10