GM expert tech
GM expert tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience, ASE Master Tech, GM STC trained

2007 GMC Yukon SLT: 4 fuses fail..(4WD)..cigarette lighters..engage

I have had 4 fuses fail in my 2007 GMC Yukon SLT, (4WD), with towing package: 1)the inside cigarette lighters/auxiliary power plugs; 2)the trailer towing right turn signal, and 3 & 4)the backup lights. The backup light failure is a severe problem, since I am towing a boat with surge brakes. When the backup lights fail to work, the surge brakes engage and I cannot back up the trailer! All 4 fuses failed within the last few months, all are 10 AMP. The backup light fuse failed twice yesterday. The first replacement lasted for only about an hour of operation and on only the second time the vehicle was placed in reverse. Can you help?
Category: GM
Expert:  GM expert tech replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I'm James. I want to help you resolve these problems. A couple questions first:

1. Is the vehicle still under warranty-if it is I would suggest seeing dealer?

2. Can you supply the VIN#?

3. Are all these fuses in the underhood fuse block?

4. Do the light fuses only blow with trailer connected?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for responding to my question.
Here is the added information.
The vehicle has 65,000 miles on it, I do not know if the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty extends to electrical problems.
All the blown fuses are in the underhood fuse block.
Not sure of the the first two fuses, but both the last two, (the back up lights) had the trailer connected.
I plan to see the dealer, but wanted added information in case I can fix it.

OK, thank-you for the additional info.

1. No, the drivetrain warranty does not cover these problems.

2. The simplest of these problems: cig. lighter/power outlet fuses usually blow when inserting accessory plugs or if someone inserts a metal object and shorts outlet. When insert accessory plug, take care to insert it straight and without too much force.

3. Now the big problem: Maybe you have tried this but I would unhook trailer and check if backup light fuse blows then. If not, problem is with trailer (most common). If is still blows, problem on vehicle. Here is a schematic of backup lights: for your info-I don't know if you will find it useful or not.

Backup Lamps

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: FS