Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech.20+ years exp. 9 years self employed. Participant on AutoLab Radio broadcast

replacing the ignition switch on 2003 envoy

Customer Question

Category: GM
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
What kind of problem are you encoutering while replacing the ignition switch on this 2003 envoy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i cant shut the key off or remove the key from the ignition
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Did you already replace the ignition switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i did replace starter motor just before experincing the problem
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Does this vehicle actually start? Do the accessories such as the head lights, radio, etc still work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
accessories, yes -start, no
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Ok the first thing I would recommend is that you verify that the battery is fully charged. You mentioned that the accessories work, so I would not figure this to be a problem, but I would still check the battery to verify that its charged to 12 volts. In addition to this, I would really recommend that you verify that the shifter is totally in park. If the shifter is the slightest bit out of park, it will deter the key from turning back to the off position. Gm actually has a bulletin for this problem and it regards XXXXX XXXXX boot getting down to far in the front of the shifter causing the shifter to not fully go into park. If this all checks out though, we are going to need to get into the electrical system to verify proper operation of the park switch in the shifter, and also the ignition lock cylinder control solenoid are working as they should. Feel free to contact me with any questions or problems! Good luck!
Carhelp4u, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: ASE Certification
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
battery fully charged, checked to be sure in park, is ok, is it a big job if it turns out to be ignition switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
battery fully charged, checked to be sure in park, is ok, is it a big job if it turns out to be ignition switch
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
The ignition switch would not likely be the cause of this, but no its not a big job to replace the switch. We really need to do some testing to verify where voltage exists and where it does not. We can make sure the park switch is working by checking for voltage in park. There are two wires pink, and yellow and they both need 12 volts while the shift lever is in park. If this checks out, we need to move to the solenoid to verify operation at that point.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i go about checking for voltage
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer Ivan here. Before you go any crazier. Look at this bulletin for your exact problem and see if it fits. let me know what happens.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

A/T - Key Will Not Release From Ignition Lock Cylinder
Notes

Bulletin No.: 05-07-30-021B

Date: October 04, 2007

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Ignition Key Will Not Remove From Ignition Lock Cylinder (Reposition Shifter Boot)

Models:
2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2002-2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models
2002-2008 GMC Envoy Models
2003-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to include the 2008 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-07-30-021A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment that they are unable to remove the ignition key from the ignition cylinder.

Cause

The shifter boot may be caught/trapped in the shifter assembly mechanism.

Correction

Inspect the shifter boot for being caught/trapped in the shifter assembly.

If the shifter boot is NOT caught/trapped in the shift assembly, refer to Ignition Key Cannot Be Removed from the Ignition Lock Cylinder in SI.

If the shifter boot IS caught/trapped in the shifter assembly, continue with the next step.

DO NOT replace the complete shifter assembly for this condition.

ONLY replace the shifter boot/handle if damaged by shifter assembly.

Reposition the shifter boot so that it is not caught/trapped in the shifter assembly.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is the shifter boot located on the shifter or under the vehicle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you give the location of the shifter boot?
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
It surrounds the shifter handle on the center console.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will look at that. if not any other suggestions?
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
Start there and feel free to get back to me if it doesn't pan out. I hate going crazy when there is a recognized issue that may solve the problem. Pursue it, then send me a post if it works or if it doesn't. We will go from there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

not it, pretty sure it is the ignition switch any suggestions on easiest way to replace it?

Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Here is the flow chart for this problem. I am more suspect of the lock cylinder or the shift cable than the electrical ignition switch. I'll find the procedure for the shift cable adjustment and get it to you as soon as I find it.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Actually I feel more confident that you have a problem with the release button on the lock cylinder. I have seen many of these. Here is the procedure. It may need to be keyed to your key, and if so either the dealer or a locksmith can do that for you. Here is the procedure. If you run into a PassLock security issue after replacing it, let me know and I'll help you through that. I haven't had to do anything after replacing these in the past.

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable. Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disable the SIR system.
  2. Remove the steering column trim covers.
  3. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the start position.
  4. Insert the tip of an awl into the access hole (1) of the ignition lock cylinder.
  5. Push down and hold the retaining pin of the ignition lock cylinder.
  6. Release the ignition lock cylinder to the run position.

1. Remove the ignition lock cylinder by pulling the cylinder away from the steering column.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the ignition lock cylinder by performing the following procedure:

1.1.Align the positioning locking tab slot on the lock module to the positioning tab on the ignition lock cylinder.
1.2.Push the lock cylinder in until the tab locks in the lock module.

1. Install the steering column trim covers.
  2. Enable the SIR system.
  3. Connect the battery negative cable.
  4. Perform the PASSLOCK learn procedure.
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech.20+ years exp. 9 years self employed. Participant on AutoLab Radio broadcast
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks i will try