Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM & SATURN Factory Trained Technician, 25 Years Experience

How do i remove the fan assembly on a gmc envoy

Customer Question

how do i remove the fan assembly on a gmc envoy
Category: GM
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question! What year and motor do you have so I can get that information for you? Ken
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its a 2002 with a 4.2 inline 6
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Cooling Fan and Shroud Replacement

Tools Required

J 41240 Fan Clutch Remover and Installer
J 38185 Hose Clamp Pliers
J 46406 Fan Clutch Remover and Installer

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the hood latch support. Refer to Hood Latch Support Replacement in Body Front End.
    Object Number: 754345  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  2. Disconnect the transmission cooler lines at the engine and release the lines from the fan shroud.
  3. Remove the 2 upper bolts on the fan shroud.
  4. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
  5. Reposition the upper inlet radiator hose clamp using J 38185 .
  6. Remove the upper inlet radiator hose from the radiator.
  7. Remove the electrical connector from the shroud.
  8. Position the water pump so the bolts are aligned in the vertical.
    Object Number: 750177  Size: SH
  9. Remove the fan hub nut from the water pump shaft in a counterclockwise rotation. Using the J 46406 , in order to secure the water pump pulley, loosen the cooling fan hub nut from the water pump shaft.
    Object Number: 753683  Size: SH
  10. Unclip the fan shroud from the radiator at the side panels (1).
  11. Tilt the radiator and the condenser forward.
  12. Lift the fan and the shroud up and out towards the engine to release the fan from the radiator to clear the radiator inlet.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the fan and the shroud onto the lip of the radiator bottom.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the 2 bolts into the upper fan shroud and tighten.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 28 N·m (21 lb ft).

3. Connect the electrical connector.
    Object Number: 753683  Size: SH
  4. Clip the fan shroud to the radiator at the side panels (1).
    Object Number: 750177  Size: SH
  5. Using the J 46406 , secure the water pump pulley, install the fan nut to the water pump shaft in a clockwise rotation.

Tighten
    Tighten the fan hub nut to 56 N·m (41 lb ft).

Object Number: 754345  Size: SH
  6. Install the transmission cooler lines to the engine and clip into the fan shroud.
  7. Install the hood latch support. Refer to Hood Latch Support Replacement in Body Front End.
  8. Install the upper inlet radiator hose to the radiator.
  9. Reposition the upper inlet radiator hose clamp using J 38185 .
  10. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling .
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM & SATURN Factory Trained Technician, 25 Years Experience
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Hood Latch Support Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the radiator air intake baffle. Refer to Air Intake Baffle Replacement - Radiator .
  2. Remove the headlamp housing panel. Refer to Headlamp Housing Panel Replacement .
  3. Remove the hood latch. Refer to Hood Primary and Secondary Latch Replacement .
    Object Number: 749967  Size: SH
  4. Remove the bolts that retain the hood latch support to the radiator support.
  5. Remove the hood latch support from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 749967  Size: SH
  1. Install the hood latch support to the vehicle.

2. Install the bolts that retain the hood latch support to the radiator support.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

3. Install the hood latch. Refer to Hood Primary and Secondary Latch Replacement .
  4. Install the headlamp housing panel. Refer to Headlamp Housing Panel Replacement .
  5. Install the radiator air intake baffle. Refer to Air Intake Baffle Replacement - Radiator .
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Air Intake Baffle Replacement - Radiator

Removal Procedure

1. Open the hood.
    Object Number: 750111  Size: SH
  2. Remove the push-pins that retain the baffle.
  3. Remove the bolts that retain the baffle to the radiator support.
  4. Remove the radiator baffle from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 750111  Size: SH
  1. Position the baffle to the vehicle.

2. Install the bolts that retain the baffle to the body.

Tighten
    Tighten the air intake baffle bolts to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

3. Install the push-pin retainers.
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Headlamp Housing Panel Replacement (Chevrolet , GMC)

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the headlamp assemblies. Refer to Headlamp Replacement in Lighting Systems.
  2. Remove the grille. Refer to Grille Replacement in Exterior trim.
  3. Remove the radiator baffle. Refer to Air Intake Baffle Replacement - Radiator .
  4. Release the clip that retains the ambient temperature sensor to the headlamp panel assembly.
    Object Number: 752279  Size: SH
  5. Remove the bolts that retain the headlamp panel assembly to the body.
  6. Remove the headlamp panel assembly from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 752279  Size: SH
  1. Position the headlamp panel assembly to the vehicle.
  2. Feed the headlamp electrical connector through the access hole in the headlamp panel assembly.
  3. Feed the remaining headlamp harness connectors between the outer edge of the headlamp panel and the forward portion of the body.

4. Install the bolts that retain the headlamp panel assembly to the body.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 8 N·m (71 lb in).

5. Install the clip that retains the ambient temperature sensor to the headlamp panel assembly.
  6. Install the radiator baffle to the vehicle. Refer to Air Intake Baffle Replacement - Radiator .
  7. Install the grille. Refer to Grille Replacement in Exterior trim.
  8. Install the headlamp assemblies. Refer to Headlamp Replacement in Lighting Systems.
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.
That should help you. Let me know if you need any more information. Please click "Accepted" or I do not get paid. Thanks Ken
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Headlamp Replacement (Envoy, Envoy XUV)

Removal Procedure

1. Open and support the hood.
    Object Number: 742005  Size: SH
  2. Pull up on the retaining tabs (1) in order to remove the headlamp assembly from the headlamp panel.
  3. Disconnect the headlamp electrical connector (2) from the headlamp assembly.
  4. Remove the side marker socket (3) from the headlamp assembly.
  5. Remove the park/turn socket (4) from the headlamp assembly.
  6. Remove the headlamp assembly from the headlamp panel.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 742005  Size: SH
  1. Position the headlamp assembly to the headlamp panel.
  2. Index and seat the tabs on the park/turn socket (4) to the headlamp assembly.
  3. Index and seat the tabs on the side marker socket (3) to the headlamp assembly.
  4. Connect the headlamp electrical connector (2).
  5. Align and install the 4 locator pins on the back of the headlamp assembly into the retaining tab holes.
  6. Push down on the retaining tabs (1) in order to lock the headlamp assembly into the headlamp panel.
  7. Close the hood.
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Grille Replacement (GMC)

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 740799  Size: SH
  1. Use a flat-bladed tool in order to release the clips that retain the top of the grille (2) to the body.
  2. Lift the grille (2) out of position.
  3. Release the quick-connect (4) on the headlamp washer supply hose.
  4. Remove the grille from the vehicle.
  5. Place the grille on a clean, prepared surface.
    Object Number: 740800  Size: SH
  6. Release the quick-connects (3) on the headlamp washer nozzle hoses.
  7. Spread the retaining tabs (1) on the grille in order to release the headlamp washer nozzle.
  8. Remove the headlamp washer nozzle from the front of the grille.
  9. Remove the headlamp washer hose (4) from the grille.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 740800  Size: SH

Important: Install the quick-connect end first.

1. Install the headlamp washer nozzle through the front of the grille.
  2. Push the washer nozzle (2) inward until fully seated in the retaining tabs (1).
  3. Install the headlamp washer supply hose (4) to the grille.
  4. Connect the quick-connects (3) to the headlamp washer nozzles.
  5. Position the grille to the headlamp panel assembly.
    Object Number: 740799  Size: SH
  6. Position the grille (2) onto the headlamp panel assembly (1) such that the lower locating tabs (3) are properly aligned.
  7. Connect the quick-connect (4) on the headlamp washer supply hose.
  8. Align the upper locating tabs of the grille (2) with the slots in the headlamp panel assembly (1).
  9. Install and fully seat the retaining clips into the body.