GMC Tech
GMC Tech, GMC Technician
Experience:  Pa state emissions cert. GM training in all areas. 5 years as a technician top of graduating class.
14353791

The heater on my 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada will not turn off

Customer Question

Category: GM
Expert:  GMC Tech replied 5 years ago.
When you say that the heater is running do you mean that the blower motor is always running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can turn the blower on and off manually. But heat is constantly coming through the duct work. I can also select air flow outputs, for example feet, vent, or defrost. There is a growling sound behind the dashboard. It acts and sounds like a valve that would turn off heater water flow is jammed, or malfunctioning. I don't know how to access that valve at the heater core.

Expert:  GMC Tech replied 5 years ago.

I would bet that you have a faulty tempature valve actuator. If it's stuck in the heat position it would give you constant heat all the time. It would most definitely make you sweat all the time. It would also make a noise if it's stuck.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You have not answered how to access the actuator.
Expert:  GMC Tech replied 5 years ago.

Here is the removal and installation procedure for the temperature actuator. Hope that this helps.

Temperature Actuator Replacement

Removal Procedure

The temperature valve actuator is located on the front of the heater case.

Remove the right side instrument panel sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Sound Insulator Replacement in Interior Trim.

Remove the instrument panel storage compartment. Refer to Instrument Panel Storage Compartment Door and Bezel Replacement in Interior Trim.

Disconnect the passenger side SIR. Refer to Disabling the SIR system in SIR.

Remove the lower right instrument panel mounting bolt.

Remove the left and right speaker grilles.

Remove the windshield defroster grille retaining screws.

Remove the windshield defroster grille.

Remove the center instrument panel sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Sound Insulator Replacement in Interior Trim.

Remove the left side instrument panel sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Sound Insulator Replacement in Interior Trim.

Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Interior Trim.

Remove the lower left instrument panel mounting bolt.

Remove the BCM. Refer to BCM Replacement in Body Control Module.

Disconnect the driver side SIR. Refer to Disabling the SIR system in SIR.

Remove the instrument panel cluster. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Replacement in Instrument Panel Cluster.

Remove the radio. Refer to Radio Replacement in Entertainment.

Remove the HVAC control assembly. Refer to HVAC Control Assembly Replacement in Heater and Ventilation.

Remove the knee deflector. Refer to Knee Deflector Replacement in Interior Trim.

Remove the steering column retaining nuts. Refer to Steering Wheel Column Replacement in Steering Wheel.

Lower the steering column.

Remove the instrument panel carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Replacement in Interior Trim.

Remove the temperature valve actuator retaining screws.

Remove the temperature valve actuator.

Installation Procedure

Install the temperature valve actuator.

Install the temperature valve actuator retaining screws.

Install the instrument panel carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Replacement in Interior Trim.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Reposition the steering column, and install the steering column retaining nuts.
Tighten
Tighten to 30N·m(22 lb ft).

Install the knee deflector. Refer to Knee Deflector Replacement in Interior Trim.

Install the HVAC control assembly. Refer to HVAC Control Assembly Replacement in Heater and Ventilation.

Install the radio. Refer to Radio Replacement in Entertainment.

Install the instrument panel cluster. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster Replacement in Instrument Panel Cluster.

Connect the driver side SIR. Refer to Disabling the SIR system in SIR.

Install the BCM. Refer to BCM Replacement in Body Control Module.

Install the lower left instrument panel mounting bolt.
Tighten
Tighten to 11.5N·m(102 lb in).

Install the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Interior Trim.

Install the left side instrument panel sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Sound Insulator Replacement in Interior Trim.

Install the center instrument panel sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Sound Insulator Replacement in Interior Trim.

Install the windshield defroster grille.

Install the windshield defroster grille retaining screws.

Install the right and left speaker grilles.

Install the lower right instrument panel mounting bolt.
Tighten
Tighten to 11.5N·m(102 lb in).

Connect the passenger side SIR. Refer to Disabling the SIR system in SIR.

Install the instrument panel storage compartment. Refer to Instrument Panel Storage Compartment Door and Bezel Replacement in Interior Trim.

Install the right side instrument panel sound insulator. Refer to Instrument Panel Sound Insulator Replacement in Interior Trim.

Perform a heater function test. Refer to Function Test .

If this has helped you please hit the accept button. Thank You.