goodwrench9124
goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  37 years of dealership exp. Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer
5720312

2007 GMC: the gauge cluster and the Air Bag light stays on

Customer Question

I have a 2007 GMC Sierra (new body style) with a 40/20/40 front seat. I have removed the center and passenger seat to install some equipment I use for my work. Since doing that, the Service Air Bag message comes on the gauge cluster and the Air Bag light stays on. I'm assuming this warning is due to the seat being unhooked from the vehicle's wiring. Is there any way to get rid of this message and warning light?

Thanks.

Colin Bergstrom
Category: GM
Expert:  goodwrench9124 replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to JA!! the air bag light will go out when everthing is ok and the key is on. in other words, doesnt require a reset. you might want to double check all your connections. the air bad connectors are yellow in color and are very sensitive to bad connections. also on the passenger seat is a module mounted the the bottom on the seat frame. make sure it is plugged in correctly.

let me know what you find. if everythin checks ok, please let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think there is a misunderstanding here. The center and passenger seats are not in the vehicle at this time. So what can I do to get the Air Bag message and light to go off?
Ok, your saying the passemger front seat is not in the vehicle? is this correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is correct.
Expert:  Butch replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Due to the passenger presence system in the passenger seat, there is not much you can do to get the light out without having the seat in. The passenger presence system has a sensor that hooks to a silicon gel filled bag in the seat. When you sit in the seat it puts pressure on the bag that the sensor detects and tell the SIR that someone is sitting in the passenger seat. I guess what I am trying to say is that this is not something that you could remove from the seat and plug back in to get the light out. I hope this answers your question. If you need any more info, please ask.

Butch

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any way that I can take some of the components off the seat and plug them in so that the vehicle will think everything is hooked up properly? If so, what parts would I need to remove?
well the problem here is, the passenger seat contains the passenger air bag system. this contains a module and a bladder inside the seat cushoin to measure body weight and size. so without the seat installed the light will remain on.
Experience: 37 years of dealership exp. Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer