GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

1997 GMC yukon: 5.7L w/ AC...I cant get the fan clutch

1997 GMC Yukon 5.7L w/AC. Trying to the replace water pump. I can't get the fan clutch off the old water pump. It has a large center nut and requires the pulley to be held. It won't break loose. The new pump is right hand thread, however the fan rotates counterclockwise. Makes me think it would be left handed. Help!
Submitted: 5 years ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: GM
Expert:  John Hicks replied 5 years ago.
I cant find the large center nut that you are refering to. In the repair manual it says that there are 4 bolts on the back of the fan that need to be removed (to remove the fan from the clutch) and then 4 bolts that have to be removed to take the clutch off the pump, and then the fan slides off the back of the clutch. I have included the diagram and instructions from the repair manual.

4.3L, 5.0L And 5.7L Engines
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Remove the radiator fan shroud.

3. Remove the drive belt, if necessary.

4. Remove the four fan clutch-to-water pump pulley nuts and lift out the fan/clutch assembly.

Engine fan and clutch assembly-gasoline engines

Click to Enlarge
Remove the four fan clutch-to-water pump pulley nuts and lift out the fan/clutch assembly

Click to Enlarge
  1. Remove the fan clutch bolts and separate the fan from the clutch.

To install:

1. Install the fan on the fan clutch and tighten the bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).

2. Position the fan/clutch assembly on the water pump pulley. Tighten the nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).

3. Install the fan shroud.

4. Connect the battery cable.

Engine fan and clutch assembly-diesel engines

Click to Enlarge
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeah I found that too, but that's not what's on my truck. KD and several other companies make a wrench set for this setup. I just can't figure out if it's right or left threaded.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Welcome. John is not a GMC expert and cannot assist you any more. I am GM tech and I will help you. The treads on your old and new pump are standard right hand thread. They are just really tight. I often use an air chisel to break them loose.
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That helps! I'm curious on the air chisel idea. Do you hit the nut or the wrench?
I use the chisel along the edge of the flat on the side of the nut that will loosen it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks! maybe I can get this back on the road now.