Roy F.
Roy F., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  General Motors World Class Certified, A.S.E. Master Certified, 23 yrs. Exp. in the auto repair field

1995 gmc: shifting..timing chain and gears..valves

Customer Question

I have a 1995 gmc sierra 5.7 liter short bed z71 and have timing trouble. I was having trouble with it loosing power and shifting down to drive or 2nd when pulling up a grade, had changed fuel filter and that wasen`t the problem so I took it to the garage and the mechanic adjusted the timing and was told that the timing chain and gears were worn and needed replaced. truck ran great after the adjustment for about 1 month and last Monday it was very hard starting and when pulling a grade the valves were rattlingand the motor was bucking, when i got on level ground it ran better but not right. Later that day when I tried to start it it started very hard so I changed the timing gears and chain making sure that it was on top dead center and the marks on the gears were in the right place. When I tried starting engine it bucked and would not start. Made sure timing marks were on 0,and base timing were ok got truck started and idled fine but when you put it in gear and put a load on it itstals
Category: GM
Expert:  Roy F. replied 7 years ago.
I would recomend you turn the distributor to where it needs to be in correct time. Remember some one set the timing after the chain slipped the first time. It sounds like that is the cause for your starting issue.

Thank You,