GMC Envoy: replacing the rear window regulator..tailgate

I have an 04 GMC Envoy XUV. We are replacing the rear window regulator but cannot get the tailgate to release. Any suggestions?

I'll be glad to help you! OK. Why are you replacing the regulator? Does anything else on the tailgate work? Have you checked the appropiate fuses?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We are replacing the regulator because the cable snapped that makes the window go up and down. The motor still turns but we had to buy the entire part because that is the way it is sold.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Now that the cable is snapped it does not recognize the window being down so it will not trigger the button on the tailgate.
OK. Have you checked the fuses for the tailgate? Is it the Envoy XL or the regular Envoy?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is an XUV. It has a tailgate like and old station wagon. I have checked all of the fuses to the end gate and they are all good. IT is getting power and you can hear the busted cable when the endgate button is depressed.
OK. Just making sure. I didn't know how much leg work you had done. The fuses for the rear gate module are under the second row of seats. You need to pull the paneling off of the tailgate. There is a release switch in there to release the latch. I've included a picture of where it is.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What way do you press the release inside the tailgate? Up , Down, push in or pull out?
  1. Lower the end gate window out of the roof rear header seal.
  2. Remove the end gate trim panel.
  3. Remove the end gate inner reinforcement panel.
  4. Locate the manual release lever (1), located on the upper and lower left latches (2).
  5. Slide the manual release levers (1) upward to swing open the end gate.
  6. Diagnose and repair the end gate latches.
Hopes this helps you out. They should be on both latches.