GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2007 gmc: i replaced my battery..2500 hd..reprogram

i replaced my battery on my 2007 gmc 2500HD diesel and now it will not start. I have tried the 30 min reprogram and the light that sould stay on for 10mins go off in a few sec. can any one help?
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Welcome. IS this a new style or old style? Does it crank and not start or just not cranks?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is a new style. It will not do any thing.whin i trun the key on i do not see the pic of the motor with the glowplug light

Check the fuses under the black cover beside the passengers side battery. It sounds like you have an open fuse. The ones labeled D or E go to the left fuse block and if the fuse is open, there will be nothing at all. Truck=paperweight.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
they are all there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i pulled the drivers side battery and put it back in. you know how when you trun the key on to start the truck the light for the motor comes on it does not come on at all. but ever thing else does like it should. i thought it might need to reprogram the key but in the 30 min reprogram how to it say the telltail light will stay on for 10 mins and to do this three time but only stay on like normall.

Please post your VIN.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1GTHC23667F520572

Ok, there is an open recall on your truck for this very thing. It is a calibration update for the ECM. Below is a copy of the recall.

#08142A: Customer Satisfaction - ECM EEPROM - Reprogram ECM - (Oct 23, 2008)

Subject:08142A -- ECM EEPROM - Reprogram ECM

Models:All 2007 and Certain 2008 Chevrolet Silverado, Express
All 2007 and Certain 2008 GMC Sierra, Savana
Equipped with 6.6L Duramax V8 Diesel (RPO LMM - VIN 6) Engine

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO ADD MORE 2008 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES. PLEASE DISCARD CUSTOMER SATISFACTION BULLETIN NUMBER 08142, DATED MAY 2008.

Condition

All 2007 and certain 2008 Chevrolet Silverado, Express; GMC Sierra and Savana vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel V8 (RPO LMM - VIN 6) engine, were produced with an ECM programming error that can result in incorrect data being written to the EEPROM used by the vehicle theft deterrent system, causing the engine not to crank or start.

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the ECM with revised software that corrects the programming error.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are all 2007 and certain 2008 Chevrolet Silverado, Express; GMC Sierra and Savana vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel V8 (RPO LMM - VIN 6) engine and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year

Division

Model

From

Through

2007

Chevrolet

Silverado HD

7E500051

7E604226

7F500001

7F567568

2007

Chevrolet

Express

71129148

71254841

2007

GMC

Sierra HD

7E500049

7E567556

7F500004

7F567556

2007

GMC

Savana

71129151

71254821

2008

Chevrolet

Silverado HD

8E100004

8E197008

8F100007

8F208985

2008

Chevrolet

Express

81100001

81197126

2008

GMC

Sierra HD

8E100012

8E213523

8F100002

8F209747

2008

GMC

Savana

81100076

81197101

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the system below. Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

- GM dealers should use GMVIS.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

- US GM dealers - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

- Canadian GM dealers - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

- Export dealers - sent directly to dealers

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.

Calibration Information

Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GMSPO. The calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules via an MDI and Techline Tech 2® scan tool and TIS 2 WEB website with the following calibration updates:

2007-08 Chevrolet Silverado, Express; GMC Sierra, Savana: Use data version 5.5 for 2008 as of 05/12/08 or later, available on TIS 2 WEB; and on TIS DVD version 6.0 / 2008 or later, mailed to dealers beginning 06/04/08.

If you cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center and it will be provided.

Service Procedure

Program Engine Control Module

Important: Verify that the 12 volt battery has a battery charge of 12 to 16 volts. The battery must be able to maintain a charge during programming. Only use approved Midtronics 165-PCS charger or equivalent to maintain proper battery voltage during programming.

1. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in SI for programming procedures.
  2. Program the ECM with the latest calibration. This calibration, or any that follow, is designed to address VTD concerns. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.
  3. Select the J2534 MDI and Reprogram the ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process screen. The J2534 MDI will reprogram the modules in less time than the Tech 2® scan tool.

Additional Information for Vehicles currently experiencing this condition

One or more of the DTCs listed in the table below will be set in the event that a vehicle is currently experiencing this condition. Do not replace the ECM. Additional steps may also be required to properly complete the service procedure, as listed in the table below.

DTCs

Technician Observation

Perform After ECM Programming

P062F

No trouble found. Program ECM.

One ignition cycle. Start the engine.

P062F

2007 Express and Savana Vans Only . Program ECM.

*VTD Learn required. Ten minute with Tech 2® via TIS2WEB.

No DTCS with VTD Light Illuminated

2007 Express and Savana Vans Only. Program ECM. Perform VTD Learn.

P062F and P0633

Program ECM.

One ignition Cycle. Start the engine.

P0513

The following DTCs P062F/P0633 can occur before or any combination of all three DTCs. Program ECM.

VTD Learn required. Ten minute with Tech 2® via TIS2WEB.

* For the 2007 Express and Savana Vans Only . When performing the VTD Learn with Tech 2® via TIS2WEB, when prompted select Powertrain VTD Learn.

Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. GM dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Claim Information -- GM

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

so i will need them to come tow the the truck to the dealer? then they can reprogram the ECM.

That is correct. Call roadside and get GM to pick up the bill. It is a recall.
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.