EULawyer
EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office
84559455

I'm an independent contractor working in Germany (U.S.

Customer Question

I'm an independent contractor working in Germany (U.S. Citizen expat) for clients outside the US, providing technical services including programming and information technology (server management). I use Amazon Web Services frequently for providing IT services, so please address AWS specifically if you can.Are there any restrictions (export, embargo, etc) that prevent me from performing certain technical services for companies in China...and what services are restricted.I would need to know this information from the perspective of a U.S. citizen AND as a person working from Germany.Many thanks!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 month ago.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, export control is outside my remit, and I believe that on JA there are no European experts in the field.

However, I wanted to give you two starting points, where you can find official information, which is essential in this field. My recommendation (and theirs as well) is to write specifically to both offices (US and Germany) explaining the kind of service you intend to offer, and obtain a written reply that it does not fall into the restriction list.

The US-China export control regime is presented here: https://www.export.gov/article?id=China-U-S-Export-Controls

You will see that dealing with it requires specialist knowledge. Perhaps in the US section there are experts for this.

The German authority for export control is here: http://www.bafa.de/EN/Foreign_Trade/Export_Control/export_control_node.html

While they do not have one China-specific material, they have one good presentation material, here: http://www.bafa.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/EN/Foreign_Trade/afk_export_control_brief_outline.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=2

This being the best I can offer, please feel free not to rate if it does not meet your expectations (rather than giving a small rating). The money will revert to you with no charge, in this case. I hope I did help at least somewhat, though.

Cordially,

Dr I L Vlad