hhvgoetz
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
48877684

I have a question about driving a special car for disabled

Customer Question

I have a question about driving a special car for disabled persons.
I am a person without disabilities. In this case, am I allowed to drive a car which is equipped and marked as car for handicapped persons?
Thank you very much!
Category: German Law
Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 7 months ago.

In Germany there should not exist any problem, as far as you have a normal drivers's license without limitations and are able to control the vehicle in a safe way.

Why are you asking?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your answer.
I am asking because in August I was stopped by the police while driving this car and they didn't allowed me to drive the car anymore. They were saying that I am not disabled and I am not allowed to drive this car.
And now they asked the owner of this car to go to the police because they want to take his right to use this sign(for car for disabled persons). They said he was not allowed to give the car to me, which I am not disabled, to drive.
Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 7 months ago.

Ah, that is not a matter of your driver's license but of the status that you can park anywhere on special parking spaces with the disabled car.

You should take off the special parking permit when using the car.

The car owner should ask the police for the legal basis, why no other person is allowed to use the car.

Another person ist not allowed to use the blue or orange disabled card which gives certain privileges.

Regards

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your answer.
The car was not parked. I was stopped in traffic by the police, I didn't used any special parking place for disabled persons.
I would like to know in advance what are my options, before going and talking to the police, to be prepared...
Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 7 months ago.

You should not tell anything the police.

They should tell the owner, on which legal basis they see a problem stating the law.

Then come back to me or a local lawyer.

At the moment I just cannot get quite the point of the police.