DirkBettinger, Rechtsanwalt
Experience:  2. Staatsexamen

A German citizen was living in Austria with her American

Customer Question

A German citizen was living in Austria with her American husband. They had filed Austrian residency. They separated and the husband returned to America. After some time passed the wife filed for divorce in the Austrian courts.
She found out through the court system that the husband had already erroneously filed for divorce in America without her being notified, so she fought the divorce in America.
The husband had sent a four page letter to the Austrian courts in English. The courts translated the letter and billed the wife over 1,000 Euros for the translation. Is she liable for the costs of the translation?
The divorce was settled in the United States. The wife was not consulted regarding translating the letter, she was billed after the fact.
If she is liable for the court costs, is there anywhere she can get help for the fees?
I appreciate your help.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  Alexander Baron von replied 16 days ago.

This is a question of either Austrian or U.S. (respective state) law. I cannot answer this. Good luck.

Alexander von Engelhardt