legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
44859865

I was born in Germany in 1987 and lived there for 7 Years,

Customer Question

I was born in Germany in 1987 and lived there for 7 Years, then I went to back to my home country, in 2009 I went back for one exchange year where I had an internship and studied in HS Trier>
I have B2 in German, what are the chances to take german passport ?
Category: German Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what if my father got the passport now
Expert:  legal eagle replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer, in order to be entitled to German citizenship either your father or your mother have to be German citizens at the time of your birth. If that is not the case the only way is naturalization which requires living in Germany for 8 years and then applying for German citizenship.

So you do not fulfill the requirements because you still would have to be living in Germany

I hope I was able to help you. Should you have any further questions please be my guest. I shall try to answer them as soon as possible. If i have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating. This is how I get credit for my work . Thank you so much, your business is very valuable to us.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what If my father got the citizenship now, does is it help in any way?
No , the German citizenship has to be at the time of your birthI hope I was able to help you. Should you have any further questions please be my guest. I shall try to answer them as soon as possible. If i have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating. This is how I get credit for my work . Thank you so much, your business is very valuable to us.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
at that time "in 1987" was I eligible to take the citizenship
noBeing born in Germany , unlike many other countries , is not enough.One of your parents would have to be GermanI hope I was able to help you. Should you have any further questions please be my guest. I shall try to answer them as soon as possible. If i have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating. This is how I get credit for my work . Thank you so much, your business is very valuable to us.
If I have answered your question a positive rating would be very welcome
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if you can please give more details I can give 5 stars rating,what about the below law ?Under transitional arrangements in the 1999 reforms (effective 1 January 2000), children who were born in Germany in 1990 or later, and would have been German had the law change been in force at the time, were entitled to be naturalised as German citizens.An application for naturalisation was required by 31 December 2000.
The child was required to apply for retention of German citizenship by age 23 and normally show that no other foreign citizenship was held at that time.

Dear Customer,

you were born in 1987, not in 1990.

So the law does not apply to you , sorry

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if I was born in 1990, and same case as my situation there I have not applied to the citizenship at that time, is there a way to try now ?

Dear Customer,

you have to live in Germany for at least 8 years, have to speak German, have to be able to earn your own living

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry Mrs Legal eagle, but I contacted you since you are a lawyer and I am expecting answers with full details in order to see the full picture, I am expecting answers from a lawyers point of view which can help me in getting the right answers...
on your last answer you told
** I have to speak German
What level of German? and if I have achieved higher level than required will that help ?
**I have to stay at least 8 years what about what about the below ?
--persons who have completed an integration course may have the residence requirement reduced to 7 years
If a person shows that he/she is especially well integrated and has a higher level of command of the German language than the basic requirement for the German citizenship (i.e., higher than CEFR level B1) may have the residence requirement reduced to 6 years
The spouse of a German citizen may be naturalised after 3 years of continual residency in Germany. The marriage must have persisted for at least 2 years.
refugees and stateless persons may be able to apply after 6 years of continual residency
former German citizens