EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office

As US citizen how can I transfer a German property to my

Customer Question

As US citizen how can I transfer a German property to my daughter living in Austria
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!
As your European Law expert, I am reviewing your question and will try to find a good answer for you.

Expert:  EULawyer replied 1 month ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your question. The answer is yes, absolutely. Any property that you own as a US citizen can be transferred to another US citizen, and if your daughter has Austrian citizenship, this is even more so because within the EU people can own anything that the other countries' citizens may own.

The legal means to transfer land or buildings is indeed through a notariat in Germany. The other means is to make a special power of attorney at the German consulate and give it to an attorney or any other trusted person to sign the document with your daughter before the local notary. This will avoid the need to go to Germany, because otherwise you have to sign in person there. The document should be a donation contract. The local notary will take care of the inscription in the land registry.

I hope my answer was useful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.

Dr I L Vlad