hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)

We are moving out from an apartment we rented years. Do we

Customer Question

We are moving out from an apartment we rented for 6 years. Do we have to repaint it? What condition to walls have to be in?
Category: German Law
Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 4 months ago.

Hi, this depends on the contract and on the fact whether you already received the apartmente with all the wall painted properly.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
really? Who would have thought ..... Can you please at least send me in English the newly introduced law chapter on this??? As (if I understand it right) regardless of the contract the owner must repaint. I wanted to know in what condition the walls have to be. I assume your answer will be still in the EUR 55? Please confirm.
Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 4 months ago.

It's pure jurisprudence by the highest civil court (BGH). It's pretty new from 2015. I don't know any English translations of the decisions.

Let me see the part of the contract and how you received the appartment and I will give it a look.

This will be within the amount of money ypu stated (I will only receive 27,89 USD of the amount).

Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 4 months ago.

The condition of the walls depend on whether you'll have to repaint them!

If not, normal used state is OK, no fresh paint necessary if no painted in dark colours, grafitti and similiar things form your kids on it, broken wll paper due to undue use...

I'll need more facts and at least the specific part of the contract in order to help you.