EULawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Titular Attorney (Avocat) at Ioan-Luca Vlad Law Office

I am a british citizen , i have recently been sent a

Customer Question

Hi , i am a british citizen , i have recently been sent a letter of summons to go to a police station in germany to give a statement , The letter states i am under investigation for bodily harm , which is false because i did not punch or any way cause any bodily harm, i am worried about this as ive never been in this sort of situation before !!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Me and two other friends were out one night in germany , and as the evening was coming to an end , we were trying to get a taxi back to our hotel , my friend flagged this taxi down but was already vacant , next minute the guy got out of the taxi and start going crazy , trying to hit us , we tried to calm him down but he carried on , all i did was try and push him away in an act of self defence , then 10 minutes later the police came and totally blew everything out of proportion and took mine and my friends hotel addresses ,
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: German Law
Expert:  EULawyer replied 6 months ago.
Dear Sir,I am very sorry for your situation. You should of course comply with the summons, but before you do so, you need to consider the following:1. You have the right to a translator, if you do not speak (good) German. It must be provided by the police to you for free;2. You also have the right to consular assistance. Contact the nearest British Consulate (they are in Berlin, Dusseldorf and Munich), tell them what happened and if the police decide to put you under formal investigation, then the consulate should be able to assist (see this link:;3. On the same link, you will find a list of English-speaking attorneys, put together by the British Embassy.You should know that being summoned for statements is not the same as being put under investigation. Particularly, if there are no witnesses, or if the 'bodily harm' was minor, they will just close the case, or issue an administrative (rather than criminal) fine, which does not stay on any record. And in any case, for minor injuries, the aggrieved party must insist through particular legal steps to proceed with the investigation.To sum up, the most important thing is to have an English-speaking local attorney with you, who will know the evidentiary (i.e. proof) practices of the local police, and estimate how likely they are to move along with this. Having one from the state is less comfort, and in such cases it is always a good investment, even for your own peace of mind.I hope my answer was helpful and look forward to your rating, which is essential to my activity.Cordially,Dr I L Vlad