legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
44859865

I have handed my notice in with my current employer,

Customer Question

Hello, I have handed my notice in with my current employer, they have since agreed to give me my notice period of 3 months. However included in my Contract is a company car, my contract that states it can be used for private use as well as company use.
My company are giving me the follow choice, a good reference and I return the car tomorrow or keep the car and a bad reference letter. My question is in Germany is it possible for a company to give a negative reference letter or decline to a reference. My
understanding it must be positive? Can you please confirm my thoughts Many thanks Steve
Category: German Law
Expert:  legal eagle replied 2 years ago.
Dear Customer,
thank you so much.
The private use of your compamy car is oart of your salary and therefore cannot be revoked by the employer at random.
The reasons for revoking must be stated in the employment contract.
A reference , ie. Arbeitszeugnis has to be positive.
If the employer wants to give anything below a positive reference he has to proof it.
There is always the possibility to go to Employment Court and file for correction of the reference letter.
I hope that helps
Have you got any more questions ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do they have to inform me before sending a reference?I am concerned as they aren't happy that I am leaving...
Dear Customer,
In German Law a reference is handed to the employee only.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perfect many thanks
Thank you
I would very much appreciate a positive rating
thnak you so much
I hope I was able to help you. Should you have any further questions please be my guest. I shall try to answer them as soon as possible. If i have helped I would very much appreciate getting a positive rating. This is how I get credit for my work . Thank you so much, your business is very valuable to us.
Dear Customer
I think I have helped you and I would really appreciate getting some sort of credit
I get credit only when and If you click on a happy face.
Thank you