legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.

My mother-in-law in Germany was recently moved to a nursing

My mother-in-law in Germany was recently moved to a nursing home. We are giving up her apartment and have been told that we must pay to have her property removed and that the firm which does so will take ownership of the property. I find this hard to believe. Is it not allowable for my wife and I to keep or sell the contents of her residence ?
Dear Customer,

thank you so much for using Just Answer.

Of course the property belongs to your mother-in-law amd the firm are not allowed to take ownership.

This is only possible if you or your wife agree on your mother`s behalf that the are allowed to do so.

So you should be careful what you sign.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. We are hoping there is something equivalent to Craigslist in Germany as we will not be able to ship the property back to the U.S.. Would like to sell the property for her mother to help pay for her long term care. Assume this would be permissible.

Dear Customer,

thank you so much for your response.

If your mother in law is of sound mind and if she agrees with the selling you are allowed to sell it on her behalf.

It is best she gives you an agreement in written form.

There is a German part of craigslist , yes but it is not too well known.

So it is best to go to an antiques dealer and let him estimate your mother in law´s belongings
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much......

Dear Customer,

if I have helped I would very much appreciate a positive feedback