hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)

I would like to know if I am still a German citizen. If not,

I would like to know if I am still a German citizen. If not, I would like to know how I can regain German citizenship.

I was born in Germany in 1964. Both of my parents were German
citizens. In 1968 we emigrated to the USA. I was listed under my
mother's German passport when we moved to the US. When I turned 18 years old I took US citizenship. However, I didn't go to the German embassy and renounce my German citizenship, so I don't know what my status is.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

If you applied for the US citizenship yourself (and not as a minor by your parents) you automatically lose the German citizenship, see § 25 I StAG.

In order to maintain both citizenships you would have had to ask German authorities (see § 25 II) BEFORE applying for the US nationality.

I am sorry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Is there any way that I can regain my German citizenship?

This is possible but will usually require to leave the US citizenship.

In order to maintain the US citizenship at the same time you'll need to prove to depend on the US citizenship (for example not to get fired, etc.). When living outside the U.S. this will be difficult in many cases, see § 25 II, 13 and 8 I StAG.

There are specialized lawyers in the U.S. who can give you support in such proceedings.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Actually, I don't mind giving up US citizenship since I've been living in Japan since 1989. However getting Japanese citizenship is quite difficult.

Would I need to move to Germany to regain German citizenship or could I do it through the German embassy in Tokyo?

Then, you should contact the German embassy and/or the Bundesverwaltungsamt in Cologne.

Regards XXXXX XXXXX Luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much!

You're welcome. Please don't forget to rate my answer.