a.merkel
a.merkel, Rechtsanwältin; LL.M. Eur.
Experience:  1.+ 2. Staatsexamen; LL.M.(Master of Law)

Hi, I am a Romanian married with an Indian in India. I am

I am a Romanian married with an Indian in India. I am living in Dresden and I tried to register that I am married in Standesamt in Dresden. They send me to Foreign Office because I had an Indian marriage certificate and they told me that I can send the paper for extra legalization in India (pay 300 euro and wait for 3 month) or register the marriage in Romania and bring the Romanian marriage certificate. I choose second option, but now they don't accept it because the marriage was done in India and not in Romania so they still want an extra legalization.
I want to mention that my husband is working in Munich and there he was immediately If registered as married without extra documents.
Can they ask for extra legalization if in Romania I am consider as married?

Thanks,
Cristina
Category: German Law
Expert:  a.merkel replied 10 months ago.

a.merkel :

Dear customer,

a.merkel :

thank you for using justanswer.

a.merkel :

Unfortunately, this applies may be required.

a.merkel :

India does not joined agreement the CIEC agreement, which regulates the recognition of marriage certificates. Therefore, a legalization is necessary.

a.merkel :

You have further questions?

Customer:

but I register my marriage in Romania

Customer:

and I have a romanian marriage certificate

Customer:

romania is EU and marriage certificate has apostile

Customer:

hello

Customer:

are you there?

a.merkel :

Why do you give a negative rating?

a.merkel :

I'm have to go to court too. so I do not stay 24/7 in this portal.

Customer:

hi frau merkel

Customer:

but I register my marriage in Romania and I have a romanian marriage certificate

a.merkel :

a moment please.

Customer:

why the german authorities don't accept my documents?

Customer:

ok, I wait

a.merkel :

The authority will recognize the Romanian recognition of your marriage. However, you need the recognition of the German authority for the Indian wedding. This is something else.

Customer:

auslandbehörde in Dresden is sending me to standesamt saying that registration belongs to standesamt. Standesamt is sending me back because they don't recognize the romanian recognition of my marriage because the marriage was done in India.

Customer:

there is a law that say that they have to recognize the Romanian recognition of my marriage?

a.merkel :

No, the the problem. There is no uniform European recognition of Indian weddings.

a.merkel :

Therefore the authority can ask for legalization, even though Romania has already recognized marriage.

Customer:

There is any other way to change my tax class from class 1 to 4 without register to standesamt?

a.merkel :

Unfortunately, no, because you have to bring the proof of the marrige.

a.merkel :

This is why you need the legalization.

Customer:

But I am a romanian citizen and since I have a romanian marriage certificate, that means that I am married, is no importance where I made the wedding.

Customer:

Why Munich didn't ask for this legalization?

a.merkel :

No, because the wedding could be invalid.

a.merkel :

If the Standesamt has doubts about, so they can ask for a legalization.

Customer:

this is the law?

a.merkel :

There is no rule, that they have to accept the indian marriage, in the cause they have the legalization from romania.

Customer:

so the law says that is up to standesamt to accept or not a document?

a.merkel :

No, the Personenstandgesetz indicates that the marriage can be notarized if the marriage was legal.

a.merkel :

The Registrar has doubts, he can request evidence.

a.merkel, Rechtsanwältin; LL.M. Eur.
Experience: 1.+ 2. Staatsexamen; LL.M.(Master of Law)