hhvgoetz
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
48877684

My ex-husband and I were married in Germany in 1996. He is

My ex-husband and I were married in Germany in 1996. He is German, I am American. Our son has dual citizenship. My ex left us in late 2005. We were living in Germany, but since he left us with no money, and I had no way to support myself and our son, I returned to the US to live with my parents. My husband agreed that our son could go with me, since he was not able to take care of him, as he was working on his PhD. Since then, I have been living in the US and supporting our son by myself. We divorced in 2009, and I agreed to give up child support until my ex got a job. However, it has been years, and he has never finished his PhD, or gotten a job. He gets by on money from his parents, and some adjunct teaching. My parents are tired of having us live with them, but I cannot afford to live on my own and support our son. Child support would make this possible, but although I have repeatedly asked my ex to help us, he says that he cannot afford to. My father is pressuring me to leave, and I am thinking of suing my ex for child support in Germany. What are the chances of winning child support for my son? Thank you.
Category: German Law
Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 1 year ago.

chances are very good to receive child support (at least the minimum amount) if your ex-husband is able to pay anything. He will need to receive more than 1000 Euros per month (800 if he is not working in order to have to give something to your child.

German social support is not applicable if the child is not living in Germany.

So please contact a German lawyer near your ex husband's residence in order to reduce possible costs.

Regards

hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Experience: LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)