legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.

How long must one pay child support in Germany?

Dear Customer,

thank you so much for using Just Answer.

According to German Law a child is responsible for his or her own upkeep when he or she reaches the age of majority.

There is however one exception:

Parents owe their child one education according to the child´s abilities

If the child has finished the education there is no more child support to be paid
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is the age of majority? There are 3 children involved 1 in university now (21 years old), 1 looking for additional schooling (19 years old/Realschule completed) and 1 17 in school.

I was once told that child support is due until a child is 'wirtschaftlich Unabhaengig) (economically independent). If this is the case, what does that mean?

do you recommend pursuing a modification of child support in a German court?

Dear Customer,

in Germany the age of majority is 18.

2 of your children are still in school so you owe them child support.

The child with the completed Realschule has to look for a job or go onto further education.

If the child does not do that you do not owe child support.

Economically independent means when the education is completed so the child can be held responsible for his or her own upkeep
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the current order states that support will be paid until the youngest reaches the age of majority. Should I expect that If a German court modifies this aspect of the order, then the result is likely to be that I will be required to pay the full 3 child amount until the youngest has finished schooling?

Dear Customer,

do you mean wife support or child support ?

If the children have a income of their own, like they get paid when they are doing an education it is deducted from the amount of child supprt.

So you cannot say you owe a certain amount because child support may vary

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

child support - not spousal support -

so any attempt at modification will be at the court's discretion? I am trying to understand what the possible outcomes might be.

Dear Customer,

child support can and will be modified if the child has finished education, if the child is not undergoing any education at all, if the child is doing an education and earns money

These are the legal exceptions from having to pay child support, or having to pay the full child support
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you

Dear Customer,

is there something you want to know ?

Please be my guest

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no that will suffice. it sounds like i need to consult with a German attorney

Dear Customer,

yes, it depends on the exact circumstances.

And please remember that from age 18 the mother is also responsible for the child`s upkeep

If I have helped I would very much appreciate getting positive feedback

Thank you