a.merkel, Rechtsanwältin; LL.M. Eur.
Experience:  1.+ 2. Staatsexamen; LL.M.(Master of Law)

Our son has to visit his mom 10 days a month legally. I (stepmom)

Our son has to visit his mom 10 days a month legally. I (stepmom) have been forbidden from initiating contact while he is in her custody. We can talk or text but only if my step son calls or texts first. My issue is this...can she read the content of our messages? She does own the phone and pay for it. I tried to buy it and take over payments and she (mom) blatantly stated she would not be able to monitor our conversations if I did. He is 15 y/o and tired of this. I am too. I want to know if it is legal in California for her to use spyware to listen to our voice conversations, see our text messages and emails.

Dear Customer,

thank you for using Just Answer.

The mother can see legal from the phonebill which numbers were dialed from the mobile phone and how long the son called.
On the device of the son is also obvious, what numbers have phoned the son.
The talking content are privacy and cannot spy legally by the mother.

I hope I was able to help.

I am here to help you and I ONLY get paid if you rate me positively AFTER I answer you. Thank you!

Best regards,

Anja Merkel, LL.M.