legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.

Hello, Im a Canadian female married to a German and we have

Customer Question

Hello, I'm a Canadian female married to a German and we have 3 kids together. We have been together 7 years and we are currently living just outside of the Hamburg area (Niedersachsan). We were married in Canada. Things have not been working out for a long time and I'm looking at the possibility of divorce. My only concern is that I don't want to lose the kids. I don't have any intentions of returning to Canada with the kids. I would rather live in the area that I'm in. We bought a house together over a year ago but he can keep it. I don't want it. Can you please advise me what I need to do in order to initiate the divorce, but more importantly, how not to lose the kids. I'm currently a stay-at-home mom and I don't have any money saved. I'm not an acoholic and I have never done drugs.
Category: German Law
Expert:  legal eagle replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,

Good morning and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Claudia Marie and I am a divorce lawyer.

No, you do not need to worry about losing your kids.

As you stayed home with the Kids and cared for them you formed closer bonds with them than your husband .

Especially important is the time between the are of 1 and 2 that is the time when bonds are forming

So you have a far better chance than your husband that the kids stay with you

The one thing you are not allowed however is go back to Canada without his consent and take the children with you

Of this happens they will be returned to him according to the The Hague Treaty for the Protection of minors

You and the kids are also entitled to support from your husband

I would reconmend getting a lawyer asap to help you

I hope I was able to help

Should you have any further questions please feel free to ask

Dear Customer,

have you got any more questions?
Dear Customer,

If there are no further questions I would appreciate getting a positive feedback because this is how I get credit for my work

Thank you
Dear Customer

If I have given you the Information you required I would be very thankful if you rate my service positively becauseTHEN AND ONLY THEN I will get paid

Thank you so much
Dear Customer,

should you have any more questions please ask