legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
44859865

Good evening, I am a single mother from Montreal, Canada and

Good evening,
I am a single mother from Montreal, Canada and I have move to Berlin 2 years ago. I currently have a 3 years Visa with a requirement to do the "integration Deutsch Schule" until the class B1. I have decided to move to Berlin to give my daughter the chance to have a father, since he is German and has return to Berlin after our separation in 2008. My Daughter is now 7 years-old.

Now, the relationship between her and him is ok, even though he has a strong temper, it is between him and I that things are not going well. He works as a Bar tender and his schedule does not aloud him to take her more then 2 times a week.
I have few questions since he is menacing me:
1- We have not apply for legal custody and I would like to know how to apply for it here in Germany.
2- In the current moment, am I considered as the main guardian? Do I have more legal power if his menaces comes unmanageable for me and feel I have no choice to move back to Montreal with my daughter?
3- What about child support? What are the laws in Germany for it?

Thank you very much
Faon Shane
Category: German Law
Expert:  legal eagle replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,

thank you so much for using Just Answer.

My name isXXXXX and I am a family law specialist

If you habe not joint custody you are considered as the main guardian and you have sole custody

Joint custody has its downsides however

Youn cannot move back to Montreal without his consent if you have joint custody.

If you do so and the child`s residence has been in Germany the chikd will be brought back to him by the authorities according to the The Hague treaty for the protection of minors.

Sole custody means that you have the legal power

If the father is German the child automatically should have dual citizenship.

If the child`s residence is in Germany and you still want joint custody you have to turn to the Jugendamt or a notary and give a Sorgeerklärung

Of course he is obliged to pay child support

The laws are very strict here and how much he has to pay is according to his income and according to the child`s age

You do not get monetary child support if you live together becuse then he pays for your living

I hope I was able to help

Have you got any more questions ?

Please feel free to ask
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Mme Marie,

Thank you for your answer,

So we have never apply for joint custody and we do not live together.

I want to apply for sole custody but in the mean time you are assuring me that I do have the sole custody by law?

My daughter has dual citizenship at the moment but she is registered living at both our respected residences.

My question is, if we did not apply for joint costudy in front of the law, she is officially under my care. no?

How can I make my sole custody official?

Does he have to agree to this?

Thank you

Faon Shane

Dear Customer,

the laws in Germany are that if you do not consent to joint custody as a single mother you automatically have sole custody.

He does not have to agree to this

There is no need to make that official

It does not matter where your daughter lives as custody is only a legal position

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand, thank you!

Now that I have sole custody, am I obligated to aloud the father to see her an specific amount of time?

Do I have to agree with his education requirements?

Where do I apply to get child support from the father?

What are his legal rights?

thank you

Faon shane

Dear Customer,

yes visiting is crucial and a right that the child has and an obligation to both parents

You can consider this as a legal right he has

You do not however have to agree with his education requirements

If he is visiting however he has the responsibility

If you want child support you apply for a Beistandschaft with the Jugendamt

It`s free and they help you with getting the child support , write to the father and so on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much!

I do not want to restrict the visits of the father, this IS the reason I have move to Germany!!! I wanted to have an idea if there where a maximul amout of time before it is considered joint custody.

But I now understant that if we have not apply, it cannot happen.

I have another question,

Can I also apply for child support to the City of Berlin?

I'm asking because I'm having a hard time since my Visa requieres that I go to intensive school 4h/day, 5days/week (from 8h30am to 12h30) and that I am a single mother.

All these questions are because I want to apply for longer Hort after school so I can work and survive! The father is against it saying I'm puting her emotional health at risk. My demand is so to have an alternative if my work requieres more time on school days...

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much!

I have another question,

Thank you

Dear Customer,

thank you for your patience

Visiting and joint custody are two toatally different matters

Visiting is just seeing the child and joint custody is the legal position only

So theoretically he could see his daughter every single day and this would not change your legal position as a parent with joint custody

Yes yiu can go to the Jugendamt and try to apply for UVG ( Unterhaltsvorschuss ) but they will try to get that back from the father

Also UVG is less than the child support he owes

As you have sole custody you have the right to apply for longer hort hours and the father does not have a say in it

I hope I was able to help

If so I would very much appreciate getting a positive feedback because this is how I get paid for my work

thank you
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience: 20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.