legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
44859865

I lived with my German girlfriend in Germany for 7 years. She

I lived with my German girlfriend in Germany for 7 years.
She bought the House but we furnished / equipped it together 50 /50 on costs. My share 25K Euros
We were financially independent and I paid approx 70 Euros per week for my keep.
As a DIY expert I also did extensive renovations to the house – estimate 10K Euros
We separated last year and I would like to know what my rights and financial entitlements are
Category: German Law
Expert:  legal eagle replied 1 year ago.

legal eagle :

Dear Customer,

legal eagle :

thank you so much for using Just Answer.

legal eagle :

My name isXXXXX am a divorce lawyer and I am happy to assist you.

legal eagle :

May I ask for a little patience because I have to type out my answer.

Customer:

Hi, ok what is your take on my situation?

legal eagle :

This is a very complex legal matter.

legal eagle :

If you live in a relationship without being married you have no claims concerning things of everyday live for example who bought the food , who paid for gas and so on

legal eagle :

This is different if you contribute to something that has a certain value for example equipment for a house.

Customer:

That is OK. I am only interested in getting my share of my investment in equipment etc.

legal eagle :

As she alone is in the land register she is the owner of the house. You paid for some of the equipment and you paid it becuase you had certain expectations , i.e, that you would continue living together

Customer:

Correct

legal eagle :

This is the so - called Geschäftsgrundlage , the basis of your financial transaction

legal eagle :

When you separated there was no basis anymore , because why should you pay for the equipment if you do not benefit by being able to live in the house

legal eagle :

So German Family Courts habe decided that you have a claim of getting some money back.

legal eagle :

This is legally immensely complicated because strictly speaking you do not get back what you have paid but it msut be considered how your investments have contributed to an increased value of the house.

legal eagle :

So if your 25k are in the house because now it fetches a better price you are enttitled to getting money back.

legal eagle :

Of course you will have to prove how much money you have paid , so if you still have the bills and bank statements, great

legal eagle :

As for your time there also could be a compensation but again you would have to prove that

legal eagle :

So my advice is you go to a lawyer, and it msut be an expert, Fachanwalt für Familienrecht, like myself , so he can assist you in claiming your money

legal eagle :

O that is it

legal eagle :

Have you got any questions ? Be my guest

Customer:

OK, it s how I thought it would be. Keep track of costs, invoices etc. I hope that we will reach a private agreement but from experience I know that personal agreements can fall apart when it comes to money and I needed to know what my legal stance is.

legal eagle :

Yes

legal eagle :

It is always a question of what can be proved

Customer:

OK, I have the invoices, receipts, photos of work done etc, so I should have a good case if needed.Thank-you

legal eagle :

Yes that is good

legal eagle :

Can I assist you any further ?

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that I have everything.

legal eagle :

Ok

legal eagle :

If I have helped I would very much appreciate a positive feedback

legal eagle :

This is how get credit

legal eagle, Attorney
Experience: 20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.