How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask hhvgoetz Your Own Question
hhvgoetz, Rechtsanwalt, LL.M.
Category: German Law
Satisfied Customers: 2868
Experience:  LL.M. in International Trade Law (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK)
Type Your German Law Question Here...
hhvgoetz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

My wife was German national She passed away in february 2008.She lived in Englandd since May 1967.She opened a savings account in Euros(Eur 8000) with Baden-Württembergische Bank,Stuttgart,Germany.The account was opened in July 2002 after her death I wanted to close the account and money to be transferred to England.The bank wanted her death certificate which was sent. then they wanted her last Will and Testament. After that they required this document trasnlated and certified by Public Notery.All the documents were sent to the bank.Now thay wantA German certificate of inheritance, certified by German Notary as, they say,German inheritance laws are different than British law.How can one get inheritace doc.? The will was made in the U.K.One can't have two wills and as she is dead so how this can be done. I think they are just using delaying tactics. They never gave a list of documents needed. They asked for one and then another one. this has been going on for 10 months. I shall extremly grateful if you can advise me as what to do. Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: German Law
Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 4 years ago.

As far as you have told it is highly likely that British law is applicable for the whole issue.


You should get a confirmation about the money (Fremderbschein) via the Amtsgericht/Nachlassgericht Berlin Schöneberg.


Ask for a "Fremderbschein" and cite §§ 2353, 2369 BGB. Then they should understand the issue even when written in English. You can also call first and ask for all necessary documents.


You'll need to call the branch office in Ringstr.9.


Tel: +49(0)30 90 186 - 0

Fax: +49(0)30 90 186 - 402



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. if I phone branch office I believe they speak English. Should i phone or write. If write then to whom? Please advise.



Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 4 years ago.

First call, they can tell you what they need an to whom to write!



Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Sir


Thanks for the information. Unfortunately it it is of no use to me. Their is no

reply at any time on the telephone number which you gave to me. I haven't got any e-mail address. All the information on the links is in German which I don't there is nothig I cn use. I am sorry Ihave to give the lowest rating



Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, this is nearly impossible.

If calling from abroad, make sure not to mark the 0!





Customer: replied 4 years ago.



i do know that about 0. I dialled 0049 30 90-------

Expert:  hhvgoetz replied 4 years ago.
Give it another try on Monday or send a Fax!