a.merkel
a.merkel, Rechtsanwältin; LL.M. Eur.
Experience:  1.+ 2. Staatsexamen; LL.M.(Master of Law)
35164805

My friend was born and raised in Germany. He moved to PA in

My friend was born and raised in Germany. He moved to PA in 1993. He got married in PA, had two children and is self employed. He has since divorced. He just received his Naturalization as a US Citizen and turned in his Perm Resident Alien Card. He was originally trying to obtain Dual Citizenship, however, due to the timelines involved, he applied for US Citizenship only as his mother became ill and he wanted to get to Germany as soon as possible. Unfortunately, his father passed away early this year. His mother is still ill. He has just completed the application for his US Passport and paid extra to have that expedited. I was trying to assist him in starting the application for the Dual Citizenship - for Germany, however, now reading, it appears as though he may have some issues in obtaining that. It appears as though a Special Permit application was supposed to be completed BEFORE filing an application for Naturalization. At this point, does he need to go through an Attorney to try to re-instate the German Citizenship and still retain the US status as well? If so, do you know the expected or estimated cost associated with such procedures? Kindest Regards PS - His parents were both from Germany also (German Citizens).

Category: German Law
Expert:  a.merkel replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
thank for using Justanswer.

Your friend can apply for the double citizenship, if he is not yet a US Citizen.

Then must he in receipt of U.S. citizenship at the German Embassy in the United States apply for "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung". The German Consulate in the United States then accidentally forwards the request with a comment letter to the Federal Administrative Office in Cologne. The processing time for retention permission is there currently average approximately 4-6 months, may take in some cases but also longer.
You don't need a lawyer for this.

I hope I was able to help.

I am here to help you and I ONLY get paid if you rate me positively AFTER I answer you.

Best regards,

Anja Merkel, LL.M.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As referenced in the fifth sentence, he has become a US Citizen and obtained Naturalization. (He took the Oath on March 28, 2013).

So are you saying that since he is now a US Citizen, he cannot obtain a Dual Citizenship?

Expert:  a.merkel replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your comment.

With the day of naturalization as a US citizen, your friend lost German citizenship, § 25 StAG. It is no longer possible to maintain the German citizenship.

Your friend must request for the German citizenship, § 13 StAG. Dual citizenship is determined by the laws of the United States, whether he has or not abandon the US citizenship.
a.merkel, Rechtsanwältin; LL.M. Eur.
Experience: 1.+ 2. Staatsexamen; LL.M.(Master of Law)