legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
44859865

My wifes mother was a German citizen who died in Perth, Western

My wife's mother was a German citizen who died in Perth, Western Australia in 1956 & was cremated there. Her ashes were sent to City Cemetary, Berlin on 24 September 1956, presumably by sea post. Date of death was 31 July 1956.How can my wife locate her mother's ashes?

Dear Customer, thank you for using Just Answer. I am very sorry but this is going to be next to impossible The right to use a grave in Germany expires after a certain amount of years( 20) if it is not renewed. So if there was no renewal the grave where the urn of your wife`s mother was buried has long expired and the remains cannot be found anymore

I am very sorry to be the bearer of this message

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Frau Schiessl. Thank you for your prompt response. It seems we cannot progress this matter further, but for one possibility. How can it be ascertained whether a grave has been renewed and if so by whom? With gratitude, Peter Neil.

Dear Customer,

thank you for responding so nicely.

As a grave costs fees every year the renewal has to be paid for.

Mostly you pay in advance for a certain number of years which in Berlin`s cemeteries is 20 years.

So if there is nobody who paid for the grave ( mostly family) since 1956 it has most likely expired. I am sending you a link with a brochure about berlin`s cemeteries.

So even if the mortal remains cannot be traced anymore the Berlin cemeteries are beautiful places where she will rest in peace.

This may be a consolation for your wife

I hope I was able to help just a little bit.

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask

Should I have helped I would be very grateful for a positive feedback

here is the link

http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/umwelt/stadtgruen/friedhoefe_begraebnisstaetten/downloads/broschuere_fhinberlin.pdf

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Frau Schiessl Many thanks for your further advice. It is of some comfort to my wife. We both much appreciate your excellent advice. With kind regards, Peter Neil.

Thak you and all the best