legal eagle
legal eagle, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of experience in all kinds of law, especially employment law and family law.
44859865

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me with German immigration

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me with German immigration laws. My father was born in Germany in 1951 and moved to Canada in 1956. I was born in 1974 and my father didn't officially get his Canadian citizenship until the early 90's. I am wondering if it might be possible for me to obtain Geman citizenship and if you might be able to help me through the process.

legal eagle :

Dear Customer,

legal eagle :

thank you so much for using Just Answer.

legal eagle :

Since 1975 in order to be eligible for German citizenship by birth either youf father or your mother has to be a German national at the time of your birth.

legal eagle :

If this was the case and if your father was still a German citizen at the time of your birth you max be eligible for German citizneship.

legal eagle :

You have to apply either with the German embassy in Washington or with the German consulate which is in Atlanta.

legal eagle :

They will tell you what kind of paperwork is needed

legal eagle :

I hope I was able to help

Dear Customer,

have you got any further questions ?

Please be my guest.

If not I would very much appreciate getting positive feedback

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi - I do not live in the U.S., I live in Canada. Do I go to the consulate in Toronto? Also, I guess the real question is wether or not my father was a German citizen at the time of my birth. He immigrated to Canada in 1956 as a German Citizen due to birth in Germany. He never bothered to get his Canadian citizenship until the early 1990's as he needed this in ordeer to get a passport. Does this therefore make him a German citizen at the time of my birth in 1974?

Dear Customer,

it said originating region USA hence my mistake

You go to Toronto, yes.

If your father had not given up German citizenship at the time of your birth he must have been a German national.